• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Speed Bleeders, Help.

Arne52101

Reaction score
City, State
Decorah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Eddie bauer 06 4.0l
I have been looking for speed bleeders for my 06 Explorer 4 x 4, cannot find them anywhere,
can someone please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only issue I've had with Speed Bleeders is they tend to suck air around the threads after the hard thread sealant wears off. Solution was lightly surrounding the threads with brake lube. Also, the Russel (639590) and Dorman (12701) bleeders have pointed tapered seats, where the OE bleeders have blunt tips. I took a chance and carefully filed down the points to match the OE profile without problems. Many sellers list caliper bleed port sizes at M10x1.0, although I'm almost certain they are 3/8-24 threads. Earl's Solo Bleeders are a different design I may try in the future. Stock bleeder is yellow color.

LT5O31D.jpg
Z7P7YHV.jpg

Anti seize came to mind, but it's petroleum based and didn't want to chance it getting it sucked into the system.

BTW, Russel sells a tiny bottle of specific thread sealant.
Speed Bleeder Installation

Good question. I've read of people using teflon tape, but don't believe it's impervious to brake fluid. Nasty stuff.

I just replaced the rear caliper on mine after 13 years of service. The OEM bleeder was a 10 mm, when I went to bleed the new caliper from Advance Auto, it turned out to be 3/8 so my 10 mm was rounding it off. 3/8 wrench did the job on the new one.

Thanks all for the help.

Back