calling all 4.0 OHV owners | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

calling all 4.0 OHV owners

2000 OHV 4.0, 4X4, 3.73, stock tires, auto trans

I usually hit 320 miles at 1/4 tank.

Thats with a lead foot, 50 percent 80+ MPH highway speeds (morning commute), 50 percent rush hour traffic stop-&-go (afternoon commute).

Best mileage I ever got was 435 give or take, i usually get just about 400 on a full tank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just got another tank. 15.5 city A/C on and i was light on it the first half of the tank. then had a pretty lead foot the rest of it.

don't know on 1/4 tank but on a fulll tank (light comes on) was 280 until I put new plugs (the factory spec plugs) then its back up to 320 per tank... gear ratio ? but it is all stock 97 4.0 with 235lt tire on it.

96limitedX said:
i just got another tank. 15.5 city A/C on and i was light on it the first half of the tank. then had a pretty lead foot the rest of it.

You're running A/C in Alaska in May? :confused:

briwayjones said:
You're running A/C in Alaska in May? :confused:

yeah its been like 65-70. and with the sun beating down the truck gets warm...you couldent understand :D ;)

65-70 Is great windows down cruising weather. I usually don't kick on the AC till it gets above 85 or so. You're weak! Take it like a man :p

i usually get about 50-60 per 1/4 tank, i have 4wd and 4.1 rear dif (2 door)

briwayjones said:
65-70 Is great windows down cruising weather. I usually don't kick on the AC till it gets above 85 or so. You're weak! Take it like a man :p

Ditto! :D
But then again isn't the sun like uber-bright in alaska? :confused:

Wow I thought I was doing pretty bad on gas but I guess not. I get around 260-280 per tank on an all stock 92 xlt with 113 grand on it. I'll let you know if things change when I put my new rims and tires, and intake and exhaust on.

I've found the best way to up your gas mileage is to have the wrong speedo gear for your tire size and gear ratio. I get about 50 extra imaginary miles per tank.

briwayjones said:

i can NOT drive with the windows down. nothing annoys me more. i do run with the sun roof open and the A/C on alot when its 60-70. lol

96limitedX said:
i can NOT drive with the windows down. nothing annoys me more. i do run with the sun roof open and the A/C on alot when its 60-70. lol

I am the exact opposite. I can not, can NOT drive without the windows down. I feel like I'm about suffocate. And my a/c doesn't work, so, I kinda have to. :p

Back