calling all 4.0 OHV owners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

calling all 4.0 OHV owners

96limitedX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
how many miles to you have on your Xs when you get to about 1/4 a tank? with mixed drving?

im trying to get some good figures on my MPG as the truck has not been really driven in year 1/2. just alot of idling.

BTW can you say your year,4x4 or 2wd, and diff ratios, over sized tires is you have them.

thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am usually at about 170-200 when I get to half a tank, then it drops pretty quick the second half. I would say I am at about 240-250 at 1/4 tank. I can usually get 300 miles by empty. The best I have been able to get was 350 miles before filling up with all highway driving.

Jason

The best way I have found to figure out your MPGs is to simply fill the tank up untill the nozzel "clicks" it self off..... set your "trip' counter on the dash to zero, drive for a few miles and then re-fill your tank again, untill the nozzel "clicks" itself off again. then devide the miles on your trip counter by the gallons. you put in when you filled up the second time.

this is the most accurate way I have found to check your gas milage. :)

well my message center has been saying that when im curzing im getting around 19-20 in town at 50. and on the highway im getting 24 at 70MPH both in O/D. also im at 1/4 and have 210 miles on it. so im going to let it go untill the check gage light comes on and then devide the miles by the gallons put in. this has allways seemed to be very close. i also need to reset my message center.

would love to hear some more.

You all do better than me :D
I get about 260 per tank. That outs me around 200 to 225 at a 1/4.
Part of the reduced mileage is due to the 33's and low gearing, and in addition my tank only holds about 18.5 gallons thanks to a rock last season caving it in a bit.

dreamr said:
my tank only holds about 18.5 gallons thanks to a rock last season caving it in a bit.

:nono: ;)

You all do better than me! I get about 250 a tank, dont know how big the tank is but thats about all i get. I think it averages to about 16mpg and mine is totally stock!

I'm usually around 320 miles at 1/4 tank. If I run it dry I can get up to about 470 miles a tank.

2000, manual, stock tires, 3.55 gearing.

dreamr said:
You all do better than me :D
I get about 260 per tank. That outs me around 200 to 225 at a 1/4.
Part of the reduced mileage is due to the 33's and low gearing, and in addition my tank only holds about 18.5 gallons thanks to a rock last season caving it in a bit.
Eh I got you beat. :p

My tank holds a whopping 17.2 gallons if I'm lucky. Add to that my wonderful 9-14 mpg and I go about 150-175 mi between fill ups. :rolleyes:

ok i ended up getting 15.29MPG = 260 in the tank. i went untill the message center said "low fuel" and i still had 4 gallons left(only put in 17) this was my first real tank with it. im pretty happy i eman with 31s,3:73s,A/C its not to bad for mostly city drving. and ALOT of WOT to get up to speed. im sure i can do better.

Jefe said:
Eh I got you beat. :p

My tank holds a whopping 17.2 gallons if I'm lucky. Add to that my wonderful 9-14 mpg and I go about 150-175 mi between fill ups. :rolleyes:

Well I am not catching up, cause I just picked up a skid plate for the gas tank tonight :D
Now just to weld some reinforcement in there and I am good!

dreamr said:
Well I am not catching up, cause I just picked up a skid plate for the gas tank tonight :D
Much of my tank damage was done with the stock skid plate in place. :eek:

I have the same truck.

What I have noticed:

Slow acceleration means an extra 60 miles out of a tank of gas. I average about 16.5 in the city. All highway I get about 20. And that is at the speed limits. Anything above 65 and you really begin to get crappy mpg.

You can drive the truck till it says 0 miles till empty, or fuel tank empty, and it still has at least a gallon in it.

The bigger tires are going to hurt. The lifted body is going to hurt. The WOT is going to really hurt.

Morgan

If I drove it hard I would get 200 to a 1/4 tank, with some warm up time. When I took it easy and warmed it up just a minute, or not at I would get around 250.

WNP 2 said:
I have the same truck.

What I have noticed:

Slow acceleration means an extra 60 miles out of a tank of gas. I average about 16.5 in the city. All highway I get about 20. And that is at the speed limits. Anything above 65 and you really begin to get crappy mpg.

You can drive the truck till it says 0 miles till empty, or fuel tank empty, and it still has at least a gallon in it.

The bigger tires are going to hurt. The lifted body is going to hurt. The WOT is going to really hurt.

Morgan

its not to bad, but im sure if it wasent lifted or with 31s i could do better. but i think the intake/exhaust are helping. i went easy on it the first half of this tank and after that i started with more WOT :D anyway im alittle under 1/2 tank so i will have to see what it does this tank. if i can stay around 260-280 im happy

I got 11 mpg on my '95 2WD 4-door with 3.27 and stock 225/70R15 tires. Got over 20mpg on the higway.

3.73 gear ratio, stock 235s, lead foot, mixed driving, about 260 miles per tank, 1996 ohv with 180k +

EDIT: automatic 96 xlt

I got almost 14 mpg last tank. I was pretty proud of myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I know is I get better mileage driving an '84 LTD Fullsize car with a 5.0 than My stock X :eek: :(

Back