Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential.

2.3L rear subframe:
Explorer.subframe.2.3Lrear.jpeg
Explorer.subframe.2.3L.jpg

3.0L rear subframe:

Explorer.subframe.3.0Lrear.jpeg
Explorer.subframe.3.0L.jpg

The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be too much for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping ..

too much or not enough ?

The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be too much for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping ..

too much or not enough ?
not enough. corrected! thanks.

I have a '21 built 12/20 and it only has a single bolt.

Just looked at my 2022 Aviator. It has the two-bolt rear subframe. My Aviator was built on 9/18/2021.

Just looked at my 2022 Aviator. It has the two-bolt rear subframe. My Aviator was built on 9/18/2021.
Thank you! i edited the poll to include MY2022. i just didn't think any had been delivered yet. That's good info to know as I'm sure Ford is now aware of the failed differential mount bolt.

There's a big thread on ExplorerST as well regarding these findings as there's been a couple of users who have sheared their single bolt, most were tuned though.

As it was discussed over there, and makes the most sense, more than likely they ran out of production. Instead of holding back, they just used the single bolt from the 2.3 models. Very few early 21 owners were lucky to have 2 bolts. Searching the PN's will also show the models that are being used for, the single bolt rear does not come up for the ST/Platinum/KR.

Far as I know, there's only been 2 people that were 100% stock that had their bolt snapped/sheared, one was due to towing. Only one user over there that had his bolt snapped had its rear frame replaced with 2 bolts.

Went to check mine and am unable to see that area as it is obstructed by the air deflector and I don't plan to crawl under there. :)

This is crazy how Ford likes to cut corners and rush these vehicles to the street. I have been with Ford since 1998, and I can't wait until my lease is over. Toyota here I come. Yes all car manufactures have their issues but, Ford has had a great share. When I first got my MY2020 ST It was missing the rear air damper that covers the rear differential and I fought Ford and had it installed and today I see many many Explorer out there and they are all missing same part. Had cameras replace due to blue screen and it still happens here and there. The sound is not all that even having the premium sound system. I love the ST, but Ford could have done better with a 60k Vehicle. I'm just tiered of Ford issues, again I know all cars have their issues, but it's time for a change.

Crawled under our 22 Aviator GT and shoved the phone around the air deflector... looks like its a 2 bolter. 10/21 build.

20211127_201436.jpg

A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential. 2.3L rear subframe: View attachment 423801 View attachment 423799 3.0L rear subframe: View attachment 423800 View attachment 423802 The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".
I took custody of 2021 Platinum 3.0L on Oct. 21, built Sep. 21. My $65,000 car has 1 bolt.

A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential.

2.3L rear subframe:
View attachment 423801 View attachment 423799

3.0L rear subframe:

View attachment 423800 View attachment 423802

The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".

I've got a MY2021 XLT with one bolt. MFG. 8/21

I took custody of 2021 Platinum 3.0L on Oct. 21, built Sep. 21. My $65,000 car has 1 bolt.
Disappointing! Looks like they decided to put the two bolt only on Aviators, despite the reduced tow rating. Sounds like Aviators are getting the rear deflector but no one else.

I've got a MY2021 XLT with one bolt. MFG. 8/21
Well, this poll is for 3.0L EcoBoost Explorers. The 2.3L powertrains are supposed to get the one bolt subframe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2021 ST was built 2020-10-05 it has two bolts

Back