Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do 2023’s typically/always have the 2 bolts? And if so, do they also have the automatic e-brake engage? even though that was the “fix” for the 1 bolt, via PCM update in Recall.

Do 2023’s typically/always have the 2 bolts? And if so, do they also have the automatic e-brake engage? even though that was the “fix” for the 1 bolt, via PCM update in Recall.
That's an interesting question. My 2023 is still held up in Chicago due to the camera recall but my impression was that the feature would become a standard one. Hopefully, a 2023 owner will jump in and advise.

Peter

Can the 2nd bolt be added to a 2.3? Plan to tow. Asking for a friend.

Can the 2nd bolt be added to a 2.3? Plan to tow. Asking for a friend.
It could be done but is pretty extensive. It would be a lot easier and less expensive to add a differential brace. AWR is a good example.

See post #86 for a video on the AWR brace.

Peter

That's an interesting question. My 2023 is still held up in Chicago due to the camera recall but my impression was that the feature would become a standard one. Hopefully, a 2023 owner will jump in and advise.

Peter
Which feature, the 2nd bolt or the auto e-brake?

If the 2023’s aren’t on the official “recall”, could that be just because they had the PCM software update at the factory? But ultimately they may have the same bolt issue and if the bolt breaks they would be eligible for same Recall covered repair?

I have a '23 with a 3-22-23 build date and I only have 1 bolt. :mad:

I had the 1 bolt but ended up upgrading to a vehicle having 2. I'd be livid to be stuck driving a single bolt setup. For those on the single bolt setup...

Which feature, the 2nd bolt or the auto e-brake?

If the 2023’s aren’t on the official “recall”, could that be just because they had the PCM software update at the factory? But ultimately they may have the same bolt issue and if the bolt breaks they would be eligible for same Recall covered repair?
e-brake

I'd be curious to see if 2024 3L's will have the 2 bolt setup given the uproar over this. Looks like most of the 2023's have 1 bolt with a few lucking out with the 2 bolt.

I use the AWR brace. My 2022 has the 1 bolt. I rejected the Ford Recall that turns the parking brake on when in park. Didn't seem like a good solution while driving.

My 2023 is still held up in Chicago due to the camera recall
Sucks... hopefully the 2nd recall works. When I don't need the camera it works...when I'm going to parallel park in the city Blue screen. That's the way she goes.

I’ve seen some documentation for Recall 22S27 that seems to indicate it applies to 2.3L explorers with RWD, as if it doesn’t apply to 2.3L with AWD (which I think Ford calls “intelligent 4WD”). Is it possible that the AWD limits the force seen at the problem bolt and therefore they decided it didn’t need the Recall? Looking up a VIN with AWD does not help, because it only shows unrepaired Recalls, and I’m assuming all the vehicles at dealership already had the PCM software fix.

IMG_8612.png

My Update, 2024 Explorer ST here with build date of 5/24 has 1 bolt for diff

My 22 2.3l RWD has the one bolt but I haven't had any issues with it. But I have the kind of driving that gets 29mpg in town and 35mpg on the highway. I'm honestly scared to push it hard in sport mode and then have to wait 3 weeks for parts at a dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 22 2.3l RWD has the one bolt but I haven't had any issues with it. But I have the kind of driving that gets 29mpg in town and 35mpg on the highway. I'm honestly scared to push it hard in sport mode and then have to wait 3 weeks for parts at a dealership.
You have the 2.3 and they haven't really had the issue, nor the HP of the 3.0T

Back