Calling the mod squad | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling the mod squad

Welcome to the thread and thank you paul!!
Personally I hate it when threads never reach their conclusion. I intended to wrap this up when the emblems are on the truck.

I didnt have any issues using duplicolor gloss clear coat over single stage. Removing the liquid mask after paint and clear was what made me go to a pro.

The last attempt turned out awesome.... 10 min after they had all been painted and cleared I began to remove the masking, some of the paint and clear pulled up with with the liquid mask.... DOE!!!

This is when I decided I was either going to use the ranger emblem paul shared,
81E85cSWdAL._SX425_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX425SY226SH20_.jpg

or have them done by a professional. I went with the later. I was disappointed I didnt finish, but relieved they were done.

I used a hot rod shop, Extreme Metal and Paint in Anacortes,Wa. They were great, but they had difficulty with them as well. I dont have an image to share of the professional emblems till they are on the truck, but I can show how close to perfect i was.
20191005_110947.jpg

I didnt clean up the paint from the edges of the letters, I just put them away for later when I wasnt as upset. Lol

If you look at the R on the lower right you can see the paint peeled. I left them as is, but after seeing mine next to the pro I am confident I can fix and finish these if needed. My paint and clear was smooth and I put enough clear on to be able to polish them to a high gloss finish.

In the end I came to the same conclusion as another member who attempted his own variation as well. By the time I bought paint, supplies, and emblems, plus my time, It cost nearly as much as it did to have a shop do them.

In conclusion, unless you're already a experienced painter or a masochistic, just have a shop make them for you.

I'm not saying it wasnt fun, I did learn a lot and gained confidence in my own abilities. Had I not had a shop paint a set I would have assumed I was just a lowsey painter. Seeing them side by side showed me that they are tough even for a pro. But now I know I can do them just as well and I can fix the ones I have or do a new set from start to finish and get it right the first time!

Here one more shot of one of my emblems
15787851298527458402890922403324.jpg

Heres the peeling
15787852729222476507516889120762.jpg

I bet most would never notice if I installed these on the truck but I'm picky. Lol.

Good to hear I'm not the only "detail enthusiast" on the website (but I have seen Greg's [GMPaint] work...). Agree to hold off mounting the emblems until you get the rig back and done.

I may mount the Ranger SVT badge once I make some meaningful mods to the Ranger. As for the purists, I'm also the guy that put "Bronco 3" emblems on my Sport once I did the 3/4 doors . . .

Enjoying the build and projects.

Paul
'91 Sport
'11 Ranger FX4

IMG_0204.JPG

Thank you Paul. Your build is full of interesting mods and upgrades. I plan on reading it from the beginning. I have only read a few explorer builds but yours seems to have a lot of things I've never read about or seen on other explorers or rangers.

Back