Cam chain tensioner replacement

limo

Reaction score
City, State
Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
´99
Hi,
I have a ´99 SOHC 4.0 liter engine with 70.000 miles, needs urgently new tensioners. I ordered by Ford (Europe) two new, I got one with a kit, and one was W/O any other parts (and without any service directions) .

My questions:

1) I found only one tensioner location on my engine - just the front, on the right side of engine (seen from front end of the car), on the other (passenger) side of the engine should be the tensioner on the rear end of engine, but IS NOT !! There is only the oil galley bolt (with the torx TX30 head), but really not a tensioner. WHERE IS THE REAR TENSIONER LOCATED?

2) After I removed the booth bolts from the oil galley, I found not some old plastic plugs inside, the using of the plastic plugs is a engine upgrade? If I have NOT the rear plastic thing, can I let the engine without it? OR should I buy new one - or should I turn out new myself? Is the rear plug identical with the front?

Thanks for any help.

Right up above, next to "new posts" is the search button for this site. Enter "cam chain tensioner" for your search, and you will get many pages of threads about your issue - some have pictures.

If you have the sohc engine - overhead cam - you will have the same tensioners as the engine used here in the U.S.

Lots of tips in those threads as well about how to do the job!

Back