Cam Chain Tensioners

tootall2

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hi guys,

I just took my 01 ex sport to the shop for the cam chain tensioners to be replaced under the 7yr/72,000 mile warranty. It would sound like a diesel for 2 seconds at start-up every now and then. The dealer told me that my ex had the newer tensioners in it. I asked him how he knew that and he told me because of the build date and that it wasn't covered under the extended warranty. He also said the noise at start-up was the cam gears themselves and will not cause any engine damage. From what I know about these tensioners, it has to be 02 or newer to have the new design in the engine.
Can anyone verify this? Or is the dealer pulling my leg because they don't want to do the work?

Thanks

you went to the dealer? Well, dealerships NEVER want to do what needs to be done - they'll do 3-5 other things before they get to the actual problem. I would say they are pulling your leg, but I just hate dealerships. :thumbdwn:

-Drew

I have yet to start my 99 SOHC, since I did the work to it. I found the front tensioner check valven in mine, which is part of the recall parts. I replaced the front tensioner with the recall kit, the rear tensioner, and the front cam cassette.

My rear tensioner was bad, and is not part of the recalls. The other related recall was to replace the front cam cassette, which is a major job. The rear cam cassette is just like the front part, but requires the engine or transmission to be removed to get to it. Ford also didn't recall the rear cassette, go figure.

If you could get it done, change the front cassette, and both cam chain tensioners. Whike in there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to also replace the jackshaft chain tensioner. That is a part often confused with the cam chain tensioners. Good luck,

Back