Cam change& injectors?

Stage 2 Dan

Reaction score
City, State
NW Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger
Greeting everyone:
I have had my 99 expo powered 2wd ranger on the road for over a year. Love it!
I have the desire to freshen up a new bullit this spring to replace the 200K engine. I am leaning to put together a 8.5 or 9-1 306 for it with forged pistons. I have sourced a set of FMS explorer headers for it, and have a set of pocket ported GTP`s that I did myself. I was planning on going with a TFS stage 1 cam with corresponding valve springs, with 1.6 roller rockers.( does anyone have a suggestion for a cam?)
My concerns are I realize that I will have to go with a tuner and have it custom tuned for the cam change.
I live in NW Indiana where we have the emission police.Presently she has no issue passing with a 3" single exhaust with a pair of 2 1/4 cats feeding into the single exhaust..

I don't want to end up with vehicle that I can't get clean enough to pass emission standards.
What I'm asking does anybody have any experience in doing a cam change in one of these engines, that it will pass emissions? I was figuring to stay wide on the lobe centers, 112-114 and keep the duration to a minimum hoping to be 210-220 @ 0.50. Hopefully this will help to get pass the Smog test.

Has anyone swapped out the mass air meter on one of these to go with the 24# injectors? Can I use a mustang unit with the expo computer?
My plan was to swap in a little more stall converter too. My transmission has been rebuilt,but the expo converter is a little too tight for me.If I make the planned changes, i was figuring to throe some stall at it.

Dan.

Back