Cam gears not right with distributor gear metal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam gears not right with distributor gear metal.

Aerostarfan

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Ford Aerostar
Hey everyone ,
I wishI could post pics of this conversion and all the fun I had to endure to make this work .
I ended up replacing my original '88 Aerostar 3.0 block with an 92 Taurus 3.0 ( and put it in my 88 Aerostar )... :)
And every thing fits perfect so far except the machine shop warned me this has roller style hydraulic lifters (which is cool ) but that I had to be warned about possible problems with cam gears grinding the distributor gears due to the cam is made of steel instead of the older pre '91 cams made of iron . It would work ( they said ) but only for a few weeks and then I may have shavings and damage .
Anyone know of this problem ? I ended up finding that I could use after market dist gear and just put that on my distributor .

Dont know yet but Im scared like hell to just put my 88 distributor in it .
Now the plan is to spend an day to tear open an 92 Taurus at pick n pull and see first hand if it has an steel cam .
If it does then Im gonna grab the distributor it came with or at least take the gear off it an put it on mine .
Teddy

It turns out ( I learned the hard way by going to junk yards and pulling one or two distributors) that YOU CAN use ANY distributor part number that A1 Cardone (or any app) makes from like 86 to 92 either Aerostar or car like Taurus 3.0 motor WILL interchange .
My fear was that you couldn't since the machine shop told me to be aware of this - now that I was putting an 92 Taurus engine in my 88 Aerostar. They said and feared the new design steel cam shaft Ford was using will grind iron teeth on distributors .
Im on 600 miles on this new motor and ITS SWEET and has no problems . I think Im getting 20 mpg and even more on the freeway .

Back