• Register Today It's free!

cam kit alignment problems?

patrick112390

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' mountaineer 5.0 4406

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only reason I can think of that it could happen is if they didn't tighten the nut down fully on the upper control arm bolt. It should definitely not move around on you....

thats what i told them... but ive had it for a day drivin around- and so far nothing! so i hope its fixed...

We replaced both LH and RH ball joints and UCA and took it in for an alignment. They said they couldn't align the right side. We bought the RH (and LH) side at the dealer and it is a 1 piece design and the original is a 2 piece design. Dealership says it is the correct one and that the design was just changed. It fit right so why are they not able to align? Are we missing something here? My husband spent hours on the phone yesterday trying to get some answers but we are not getting anywhere. Help!!

We replaced both LH and RH ball joints and UCA and took it in for an alignment. They said they couldn't align the right side. We bought the RH (and LH) side at the dealer and it is a 1 piece design and the original is a 2 piece design. Dealership says it is the correct one and that the design was just changed. It fit right so why are they not able to align? Are we missing something here? My husband spent hours on the phone yesterday trying to get some answers but we are not getting anywhere. Help!!

Because the alignment guy isn't using his head-

I have seen this before-

It is quite complicated, so bear with me and I will try to explain.

The auto parts manufacturers have changed the design, and, the alignment computers have changed the process accordingly-

The early design had a 2 piece arm which would allow a "caster angle" adjustment to match the caster of the drivers side wheel-( this is what the alignment tech needs to do-)

However-
The new computer program doesn't account for this adjustment, and relies soley on " triangulation" adjustment using only the "camber " adjusters-

( if I pull ONLY the rear camber in, it will also shift the caster angle Higher, for instance)

Here is what they need to do--

step 1
adjust driver side camber to max--both washers to max camber offset.

DO NOT TOUCH THESE AT ALL!! even if the computer says --do not adjust them!!!!

step 2
straighten the steering wheel-

step3

measure driver side caster angle

step 4
adjust passenger side camber to max

step 5
level front ride height via torsion key adjusters
step 6
adjust the 2 piece arm by sliding forward or rearward to match caster to driver side.

Now it is roughed in enough to use the computer alignment machine following it's instructions-

For the first 6 steps though-ignore it's instructions, follow ONLY the measurements as a guide for rough in.
A GOOD alignment tech should be able to understand this.
A "school trained" alignment tech will merely scratch his head and say I'm full of crap--:D

Thanks for the quick response!
Heading back over there with these instructions and will let you know the outcome.

any update on this? Went to get alignment the other day and was told they did not know how to align the vehicle.

ive had several places tell me they could not do the alignment on my truck.. went to sears, les suabe, altons.. i guess im going to try a small shop and see what they say.

Back