• Register Today It's free!

cam or turbo?..supercharger?

PFC WHITE

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER XLT
right now im waiting to get my shelby super snake i want to do something to my X i have a 4.0 and thought about maybe a turbochager or a super? which one would be better. and i dont know much about this "camming" what would get me more rwhp? 210 at the fly just isnt enough anymore ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do cams on our trucks, but they need to be matched with modified heads since I think that the available cams are stock regrinds. you can get both the modifed heads and reground cams from supersixmotorsports.

Turbos/superchargers both seem to work well on the SOHC from what I've seen. I think an M-90 supercharger would probably be cheaper though. Google "banshee supercharger" and that site sells an M-90 mounting kit....you just need to get an M-90. those can be had for several hundred used or you can spend more and get a new ported one. Do a search for a user called $ilent$eal, he installed this kit on his 3rd gen.

either way you also would need a custom dyno tune and tuner so add several hundred more on top of the supercharger/turbo costs.

You could also install a wet nitrous kit for much less than both of the forced induction options....even with the tune it would still be cheaper.

What year Super Snake???

I'd do the basic intake, exhaust and tune and leave the holy s*** factor to the SS:D

I might have an M90 you need from the Thunderbird Supercoupe available for sale here is a week or so. So if your serious about the Banshee Supercharger, let me know. He said you can't use one from a GTP/monte/Impala, you have to use the Thunderbird one.

I've been reading all over the site about the supercharging and i have even found a few m90 superchargers for sale where i live. How do i know the supercharger is out of a thunderbird or that is even an m90 will it have some kind of print on the supergharger? I didnt know that a kit was needed for installation but i looked up banshee and that is one expensive kit are there any other cheaper mounting kits out there?

I've been reading all over the site about the supercharging and i have even found a few m90 superchargers for sale where i live. How do i know the supercharger is out of a thunderbird or that is even an m90 will it have some kind of print on the supergharger? I didnt know that a kit was needed for installation but i looked up banshee and that is one expensive kit are there any other cheaper mounting kits out there?

$1595 is expensive? Pick up an Easton M90 for $250 and that is the cheapest supercharger kit for the explorer. In fact, that is one of the cheapest complete supercharger kits for any car that I have seen. If not the cheapest.

You can contact the guy (Ron) at the Banshee site to get info on how to recognize a Thunderbird M90. Usually they are listed as a thunderbird or supercoupe m90 when I see them for sale on ebay or wherever. If it were me I would get a new one but you could find a used one with low miles or an old used one and have it rebuilt.

Yes a mounting kit is needed...there's no way to just bolt an M90 onto a 4.0 SOHC with nothing else, plus you have to move some things around like the EGR and get some tuning done to make sure it's safe and won't blow your motor.

The Banshee is a pretty good deal I think. I don't think you'll find much cheaper than that unless you make one yourself or find a used kit. The hardest part with making your own would be to make sure the supercharger sits straight and square with the other pulleys on the motor otherwise you could have isssues with the belt.

$1595 is expensive? Pick up an Easton M90 for $250 and that is the cheapest supercharger kit for the explorer. In fact, that is one of the cheapest complete supercharger kits for any car that I have seen. If not the cheapest.

Agree...the X-Charger seems to be the only other option and it is expensive.

South East Beast, I don't know what kind of driving you like to do but they do make nitrous kits for the 4.0 SOHC. Plenty of power for less than 1000 dollars all in, and that's probably with tuning too. Just something you might look into.

thanks for the info guys. i can easily get the m90 its just the mounting kit is pushing my budget (need money for school and other more important things). it sounds like there's alot on top of installing the m90 with the tuning i think i'll give it some time. i would'nt go with nitorus cuz i dont do any racing lol. currently i've got a CAI, muffler, im probably gonna get headers soon. you guys reccomend any other upgrades aside from superchargers and turbo's?

From what I have heard headers on the 4.0 SOHC don't yield enough of a power gain to justify the cost, at least on a non-supercharged motor. Some of the reports I read showed that people actually lost power and torque in the normal driving RPM range. I'd say save that money and put it towards the supercharger and then maybe look at headers later if the supercharger isn't performing as well as you like.

If your current axle gear ratio is 3.55 maybe doing an axle gear upgrade would help your truck feel more powerful. I've had to put mine off for a while but I'm getting ready to put 4.10 gears in soon...upgrading from the stock 3.55 ratio.

The M90 will be your best bet. Search for the thread on it. I know of one other person who had a sucessful build with it with a few modifications.

thanks guys sorry i was in some training on top of losing my info for the site i was going to inherit my granfather (2007 i believe?) but instead it was sold and the divendents divided among us (i got like 12k) but ive decided to get another 3rd gen 4x4

Back