cam position sensor ?

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
hey all ,seem to be haveing a problem here latelly .about a month a go the engine was fine but started up with hard starting ....then it went to really hard starting then total cut out of the engine while it's running .went and pickup a new tps and crankshaft postion sensor ( tho after i replaced the crank sensor it did seemed to want to start like normal but that went away in a few days ) so....

today i decided to look more into it and thinking the coil was bad i found that it was ok with the meter . a person i talked to at az said that if your not starting and after you replaced the crank sensor and you got cut outs then it's got to be the "camshaft postion sensor" .....and they don't even sell them ...neither does advance auto :rolleyes: so i looked and rock auto seems to be the only place to buy them ..... $191.00.

has anyone done this fix before ??? what all is involved ( i think i have to have a timeing wheel ) ?

any advice would be great !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...thank you sir .......:)

edit : after reading ......mmmmm'great :(

ok .... got another question ,

after reading for the 2nd gen thread ... i see that there is a problem with the pins on the reman unit haveing play compared to a new motorcraft unit ( dorman brand ) the new unit i'm looking at is made by " cardone " ...
do they have the same problems or is the problems for this cam sensor only for 2nd gen's ?

i saw that sticko had one break on him and thats not what i want to happen while the engine is turning 2k rpms on the freeway .

Well, it seems to me if the issue is with the pin shearing off, get a more solid pin, remove the weak one, place the better one in and drive er home.

They cost about 10 cents at a hardware store.

fair enough

...guess i know what i'll be doing new years week

Back