• Register Today It's free!

Cam Shaft Position sensor chirp

Mikeri

Reaction score
City, State
Natchez, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer AWD
My 98 Mountaineer with 5.0 AWD (75.000 easy miles) has developed the infamous chirp. My stethescope says it is coming from the Cam Shaft Position Sensor area. The chirp is slight and goes away when the engine gets warmed up. Question: Can I live with the chirp and not experience engine damage? Help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A squeaky bushing or bearing needs attention of some sort IMO

You make the call. You might want to just lube it good. I believe if you mark it well, and don't disturb engine position, you might get around the need for an alignment tool.

I don't know whether my '93 Ex has one of those. But my '97 Sable does, and its failure caused me lots of grief .

I wouldn't wait for total failure to replace the unit. If you can just replace the sensor (top plastic part), do it. You won't need any special tools.

But if you wait for the rotating metal part to shred the sensor, probably wrecking the metal part in the process, you've got a lot more work to do.

I just went through this issue with our 96 4.0L. I bought the part from RockAuto for $30 before shipping charges. I could not get the generic synchronizer to fully seat completely. I took the new generic synchronizer apart after filing the housing (still didn't fit). The gear is not pressed on like the genuine Ford gear is. I pulled the original Ford synchronizer apart to find out the chinese Dorman synchornizer does not have any real quality to it. I cleaned up the original part in hopes that it would not chirp anymore but this only lasted 2 days. According to RockAuto, Dorman says this part should fit. Unfortunately it didn't but I feel I got my money's worth because I used the alignment tool and the new sensor.

I ordered a new Ford synchronizer from www.getfordparts.com (Ford dealer in Cranston, RI) because the price is lower than any local Ford dealer here in York, PA(about $87 w/shipping opposed to $100 locally w/o sales tax). I'm waiting on the part to be delivered tomorrow.

You may be able to get away without buying the tool since this is up front on the 5.0L. I can only suggest if you don't buy the tool, do not let the housing turn if the shaft does not turn. The tool keeps the housing and shaft from turning as 2 different peices to ensure proper alignment for the cam sensor timing. From what I understand, the cam sensor only control when the fuel injector shoot fuel. Vehicle will run without this but will not run very well.

Hope this helps.

My truck has the same problem. I have ordered the new synchonizer, sensor and the alignment tool and I am going to replace mine as soon as the part comes in. Seems like a lot of our trucks are having this problem recently. How many miles are on your truck when yours started chirping? I have about 112,000 on my 96 4.0.

justanother1 said:
... I bought the part from RockAuto for $30 before shipping charges. I could not get the generic synchronizer to fully seat completely.

Same experience with my Sable, but I was successful filing the part down to fit. I let Rock Auto know about it and they promised to tell their Dorman rep.

BTW, you can replace the whole thing without the tool. Just mark (Liquid Paper works well on a cleaned spot) the position of the old synchronizer in relation to the engine block, and the rotating part in relation to the synchronizer. Line up the new parts the same way and mark them, too. As long as the engine hasn't turned, you can't go wrong. Just know that the rotating part will turn slightly as the synchronizer slides down into place, on account of the gear teeth being cut diagonally. So start your way down with the rotating part turned back slightly, and it will end up in the right spot.

I had an interesting conversation with the service manager and a trusted long time mechanic at my local Ford dealer today. I had my 98 Mountaineer in for recall work. I explained my diagnosis of the Cam Pos Sensor. The mechanic said that the chirp is most definitely the syn gear. Varnish builds up in the oil grooves inhibiting the flow of oil to the gear. When asked if I could still drive it without damage, he said that many come in with the chirp and are not fixed; that he had no idea how long people drive with this chirp. He feld it would be OK to keep driving it. The service manage could not recall the last time the shop did a repair job on the 5.0 for the sync gear. So, I am going to keep driving it until the noise gets unbearable. Right now it is not loud and lasts only for a short while during warm up. Eventually, I will have it done. The service manager ball parked the repair at $350.

Skibug, our has 111,312 miles on it. I agree with you about a lot of our truck are having this problem. I have done our without pulling the intake or anything else. This is a pain because it is very hard to see and hard to get your hand in to feel your way through this. I did unhook the drivers side plug wire from the coil pack, unbolt tthe coil pack from the bracket, and move it to the side for a little more room. I dropped the synchronizer hold down clamp to never find it because it never fell to the ground. I used a 302 distributor hold down clamp. Where did you buy everything from? If you bought this from RockAuto, I wish you luck.

Msmith65, I would not reccomend trying to do this without the tool on the 4.0L. I could hardly see what I was trying to do but I didn't remove the intake or anything else. If you can see, you can probably get away without the tool.

Mikeri, the chirp will get louder and be around all the time. Our was only there at the first start up of the day. Then it would come and go while driving. At that point, I decided it was time to do something about this. As I have said, I took the original apart and cleaned it but this only worked for 2 days.

justanother1 said:
Msmith65, I would not reccomend trying to do this without the tool on the 4.0L. I could hardly see what I was trying to do but I didn't remove the intake or anything else. If you can see, you can probably get away without the tool.

You make an excellent point. My experience was on a transverse engine -- still very difficult, but less so because I could see what I was doing (after prying a harness out of the way).

I have the tool and will send it to anyone who pays me $5 plus shipping.

msmith65 said:
I have the tool and will send it to anyone who pays me $5 plus shipping.

If I remember correctly, this tools is only good for the 3.0L and the 4.0L. I believe that the 5.0L uses a different tool but I'm not sure.

If i didn't already have the tool, I'd buy it. The cheapest that I had found the tool online was around $20 not including shipping.

I will be taking the intake off to get to the part. I did not order mine from Rockauto, but I did order an aftermarket part. My local ford stealership and the other closest one (1hr drive) wants $169.99 for just the synchronizer. I figured even if the aftermaket part does not work, the sensor and the tool that I got with it is worth the money.

Thanks for the replies. Pics are great. Here is what I am doing. Since I was told the problem stems from a build up of varnish, I have put 1/2 can of seafoam into the crankcase. So far no chirp. Seafoam works well on varnish. I won't have time to do a seafoam treatment through the PCV for a couple of weeks. I will let you know my progress. I am taking the Mountaineer on a road trip tonight. More later. Maybe the "mechanic in a can" will help.

Just drove 800 miles. The chirp is ever so slight and not consistant. Progress. I am thinking the seafoam in the crankcase has had an effect in cleaning up some varnish, thus allowing the oil to climb the drive assembly. Hope to do seafoam through the PCV this week with oil change. Will update.

With the chirp sound ever so slight, I added 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil, something I like to do just before an oil change. After driving around for a couple of days, the chirp returned. Dang. I have today done the seafoam treatment. I should add that I was able to reach down behind the 5.0 and lift the PCV high enough to tie a wire to it. From there I was able to add the seafoam. Alot of smoke. I am sure this is the first treatment in the 76k miles on the truck..
I then oil changed with Pennzoil 5w30. So far the chirp is gone. I will update if it returns.

In the last 2.5 months, I have driven my 98 only 250 miles, all around town running errands. The chirp occurs rarely and is not loud at all. I believe the MMO is doing some good, but with only 250 miles, I cannot be certain. Just an update.

Update: The 98 sat for 7 days. I fired it up and the chirp was there, for about 4 minutes. Have driven it everyday for the last 5 with no chirp. I think the MMO is doing the job in eating the varnish. Still a long way from the next oil change; but, I plan on doing another Seafoam treatment and add the 8 oz of MMO. Will update then.

Well, my BABIED 98 Mountie 5.0 AWD threw a CPS code...P0340. Took it off and all the metal parts were in pieces; as was the semi circlular part on the top of the Cam Sync Gear. This car came from Michigan and has a history of rust common to cars up there. The metal pieces were all brown and I suspected some rust as a cause. Did Marvel Mystery Oil help? My conclusion is yes. But with the Sensor and Gear falling apart, I cannot state with certainty. Wish this had turned out better for a more definitive answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back