Cam Synchro | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam Synchro

Thanks!

The location of this thing is just killing me. Can’t reach, can’t see anything what a pain in the rear.

So I hooked up the harness connector to the synchro and backprobed the center wire and I get getting the proper readings. Haynes manual just says drop it in and test with meter.

They left out the part about hooking it back up.
It was close anyways but I just wanted it to be known good and not guessing.

I just thought about it for a while and wondered the key needed to be on if I was just attaching the sensor to ground? I was looking for battery voltage, how is the battery voltage supposed to get there?

Once I hooked up the connector and back probed it I was able to turn the housing clockwise until there was 0 voltage, then slowly turn it counterclockwise until battery voltage was present. This was with the crank at 34mm ATDC. Then tighten the housing and remove the connector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But for the record, I was not able to remove the cam synchro with the LIM installed. I was able to raise it up enough to adjust it, but to completely remove it my LIM had to be removed.
Just a heads up, ymmv

nice work sounds like you nailed it

I installed a 96 or 97 in my 94 using the meter method and it works fine. Get the connector from a junkyard truck and it has the correct color wires, but get plenty of wire as I got about 8" with mine and it was barely enough.

interesting! I thought the depth of the cam sensor was different in 96?
Thanks for sharing

Back