• Register Today It's free!

Cam tensioners

jwc9

Reaction score
City, State
Abbeydell IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
I have looked at several threads concerning the tensioners, cassettes and timing chains. Sounds like most have a rattle at higher rpm's. I have a 2002 explorer 4.0 with 142000 miles. Runs great and uses no oil. It only has a rattle for 1/2 a second when first started after sitting 6 or more hours. No rattle at any rpm hot or cold otherwise. I am thinking it would be worth trying the tensioners first. What is everyone elses thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. I will look into the flush. What do you use?
And I have another question. I have heard these engines called SOHC and OHV. Which is it? Or is it both?

I now see it is called the sohc.

Just did my chains. I would deffinetly try tensioned first. After replacing all chains and the hole bag and not finding and broken guide or tensioners I would try tensioners first

Thankls! I havve them on order.

I have read on this board, and ,aybe it is a different version of this engine, that you must remove the upper intake to change the left front tensioner. It appears to me that this woud be not be required as the left front tensioner is in clear view . Maybe it is longer than I think and will not clear the upper intake. Has any one changed these on an 02?

Changed the tensioners just now. Took maybe 10 minutes for the left front one and 30 for the right rear. Loosened inner splash sheild and removed wheel. This gave me a clear shot with two ten inch extensions. Placed a dab of sealent to hold the washer in place and torqed it down. The front top was even easier. Just had to unplug one sensor that was in the way. Removed old, used a little sealant again to hold washer and installed. Now to see if it is quieter in the morning.

Just did mine today. I did the right side one from under the hood. Had to remove the TB duct. Used a 4 in extension a shallow socket and a breaker bar.

Back