• Register Today It's free!

camber and tie rod questions

sethsport

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa beach fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sporttrac xlt 4x4
redoing my front end suspension with all moog problem solver parts.
switching the two piece UCA on the passenger side for a wishbone style one piece.
new sway links
lower arms
I need and should do both outer tie rods even though its only one that's bad,
my question is do I, or should I replace the inner tie rods as well?
how do I tell if they've gone bad?

and also from what ive read everyone says to get the camber kit for the upper UCA's. my question is do I really need them?
what exactly do they do?
doesn't the truck already have some form of them installed?
what are the advantages of replacing them?

It's best to renew inner and outer tie rods at one time. What ever is obvious to you that is worn out, the ends that seem OK won't be far behind. Inner tie rod if bad will be loose and you can feel the play once you have removed the outers.

Replacing upper control arms and using the original camber plates, set at manufacture is what I did. I used Moog k80068(one piece) and k8708t. After I did the tracking myself, the ST steering was perfect(did inners, outers, bottom ball joints and sway bar links front and back at same time).

Assuming Moog control arms are same dimensions as original (which I'm sure they are) it is not going to alter the camber, so no need for a camber kit. If you use original plates and bolt plate make sure that everything goes back in their original positions. The passengers side is easy, the drivers side is PITA. Let everyone know how it works out.

I changed the upper control arms (2-piece on passenger side) and lower ball joints at the same time. Afterwards my alignment was okay, but if you're changing the control arms, I suggest you also install Moog caster/camber kits and get an alignment done. If you don't, the alignment shops charge a lot of money for the caster/camber kits and the labor to install them.

Back