camber bushing install

mysticclam

Typo King
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
ok, Im having a bit of trouble explaining to the alignment guy that he can keep the castor correct and add more camber by putting in a higher degree bushing plus its expensive so Im gonna try and do them myself again. I couldnt figure out where the snap o ring is and I think I know why, I think mine are missing!
Is it supposed to be above the bushing in the little grove on the shaft coming up from the ball joint?. It should stick out from the shaft (to keep the bushing from coming out if the pinch bolt gets loose) right? Can I get new ones somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct.
yes any hardware store that sells snap rings :)

The upper ball joint stud comes up through the camber shim, which is held in position byt the pinch bolt.
The top of the stud has the groove in it to accept the snap ring. they are a standard size, I know because I had to go get a new one after mine flew 100' from where I was working :) 1/2" or 5/8" or something will be the correct size. Make sure you get thick ones, so they fit snug.
It is not uncommon for alignment shops to send you home without the snap rings they removed re-installed, unfortunatley.

mysticclam said:
Is it supposed to be above the bushing in the little grove on the shaft coming up from the ball joint?. It should stick out from the shaft (to keep the bushing from coming out if the pinch bolt gets loose) right? Can I get new ones somewhere?

You are correct. You should be able to get them from your favorite parts store or the stealership.

More info can be found here.

ok, i ordered some that I thought were going to be 3.25 2wd / 2.75 4wd and I got them, they are stamped 3 1/4 but the box says 3 1/4 2wd 2 3/8 4wd which is only 2.37 and ive already got ones marked 2.0 installed (though that might be 2wd since the new ones are stamped with the 2wd #) I thought I read that a 3.25 = a 2.75 for 4wd. Should I install these or get different ones?

It depends how far out is your alignment and why? recently added lift?

I put the skyjacker 2-inch lift coils in. My adjusters don’t look maxed out but it still has positive camber +2.2 on drivers side and +1.5 on passenger (after an alignment) I think he put the toe and caster in spec and left the camber out of spec to keep it from pulling, so im having it redone as im more worried about ruining tires. If im understanding how these bushings work, changing the camber will change the caster so going to a bigger bushing is necessary to decrease camber without putting the caster out of spec. The passenger side looks livable but the driver side is noticeably off. I’m thinking it wouldn’t really need too much more to have it good. Caster is 3.1 so depending on which way it will change when the camber goes down it might have room for adjustment. Lastly I could always put the adjustable radius arm bushings in if the caster ends up a bit off. I want to replace the bushings soon anyway as my truck has so many miles.

Back