• Register Today It's free!

Camper conversion on 94 XLT

bradh8

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey everybody, I'm obsessed with the idea of building a camper inside the back end of my XLT ... I have plans and ideas aplenty, but was curious if anyone had done something similar on their own rig? Thoughts/opinions/tips? Photos? Thanks, all!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did. I've made a drawer system with expandable bed for 2 people.
I'll post some pictures later :)

I haven't seen anyone convert an Explorer into a full fledged camper, but I'm sure it could be done and I would love to see the results!

Ditch the back seats and all of the plastic that covers the rear wheel wells etc and it opens up more space to work with.

I wanted sth for road trips and sometimes for camping. So my idea was to build cargo/sleeping area.
I've decided to split it into two pieces so I can still take passengers on my back seats.
Bed dimensions are 6ftx4,5ft. Made out of 1/2 inch plywood. Frame 2x2. Cost me around 130 $ CAD. Now I'm applying some stain on it so I'll post more pictures afterwards.
Frame:
O8BMbLkl.jpg

i1VvhrLl.jpg

6mj1MGLl.jpg

SHMe4rYl.jpg

ElyXhLql.jpg

I wanted sth for road trips and sometimes for camping. So my idea was to build cargo/sleeping area.
I've decided to split it into two pieces so I can still take passengers on my back seats.
Bed dimensions are 6ftx4,5ft. Made out of 1/2 inch plywood. Frame 2x2. Cost me around 130 $ CAD. Now I'm applying some stain on it so I'll post more pictures afterwards.
Frame:
O8BMbLkl.jpg

i1VvhrLl.jpg

6mj1MGLl.jpg

SHMe4rYl.jpg

ElyXhLql.jpg
Awesome ... this is pretty much my thoughts ... good job, mate

Back