• Register Today It's free!

Camping in a 2015 Explorer Sport

masaphotog

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport 402a
I am going camping this weekend for a friend's bachelor party. I plan to sleep in the cargo area of my sport. I hav folded the 2nd row buckets down but of course that huge hole between the seats will make for a very uncomfortable night no matter how much I drink. I have seen on amazon inflatable cubes that I unfortunately don't have time to order. Or I could cut a piece of plywood to go across the two seats. Anyone found a perfect thing that fits between the seats that I could use my air mattress with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear of your outing. Have fun but be safe.

I strongly suggest to "MacGyver" it. Try some simple solutions first and be creative. You will enjoy the effort and we all hope you will share your creativity with us all.

Good luck

I am going camping this weekend for a friend's bachelor party. I plan to sleep in the cargo area of my sport. I hav folded the 2nd row buckets down but of course that huge hole between the seats will make for a very uncomfortable night no matter how much I drink. I have seen on amazon inflatable cubes that I unfortunately don't have time to order. Or I could cut a piece of plywood to go across the two seats. Anyone found a perfect thing that fits between the seats that I could use my air mattress with?
Put some scar tissue on the liver!

Glad to hear of your outing. Have fun but be safe.

I strongly suggest to "MacGyver" it. Try some simple solutions first and be creative. You will enjoy the effort and we all hope you will share your creativity with us all.

Good luck
Will do! So Far I have stuck a cooler in there which was too high by 3 inches. And a milk crate that was 2 in too low. I'm still trying. At this point if Y'all don't have any better ideas I will end up cutting and sanding a 1/2 piece of plywood to fit on the back of the seats.

Blankets over your luggage fills the gap well enough, even more so if you're putting a mat over it. Head towards the back, feet front. Drove to Kentucky in my 2014 XLT for the Total Solar Eclipse in 2017. Slept on the side of the road at Land-Between-The-Lakes the day before. The whole state was a traffic jam immediately afterward, so slept behind a Circle K trucker stop the night after. It was fine. If anything, the angle sloping down towards the tailgate was the most annoying, I don't think the cargo area is level when the car is. Do yourself a favor and bring a couple pieces of 2x8 board to put under the rear wheels so the bed area is flat. Or, park on a slight hill with the rear end slightly higher. Thank me later. Enjoy!

Update!!!! I have settled on a sheet of plywood. I have cut it down to cover the 2nd row of seats. I then wrapped to in a towel to prevent damage to my seats, air mattress and delicate butt. I really like the idea of putting the read wheels on wood blocks. Thanks @runningonfords! since the gap is spanned with wood I am using it to stow emergency gear I always keep in the vehicle. Thanks for the help Y'all.

PS I also have decided to point my head towards the rear like suggested. The pics show the other way.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 140

Update!!!! I have settled on a sheet of plywood. I have cut it down to cover the 2nd row of seats. I then wrapped to in a towel to prevent damage to my seats, air mattress and delicate butt. I really like the idea of putting the read wheels on wood blocks. Thanks @runningonfords! since the gap is spanned with wood I am using it to stow emergency gear I always keep in the vehicle. Thanks for the help Y'all.

PS I also have decided to point my head towards the rear like suggested. The pics show the other way.
Creative. Not sure I want to try sleeping in my car ever....

Why ask? It seems this is a one or few time(s) problem with an immediate need. Cut a piece of plywood to go across the opening. I am assuming you are going to at least have a sleeping bag to put over the wood, to soften the experience. Maybe you could put down a folded blanket too.

Back