• Register Today It's free!

Camping in the x

99_X-PLODER

Reaction score
City, State
johnsburg ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB edition
Anyone use their x for camping? Do you have a trailer you town or do u use a tent, or sleep in the x, I'm thinking about trying some camping this summer and was wondering the best way to go about this on a low budget. Iv got a tent and sleeping bags but was wondering how everyone else dose it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We tent it, mostly to stay in a campground at Bristol, TN for the NASCAR and NHRA races. The wife and I have separate dome tents because I snore. I can't afford a real trailer right now with two kids in college and I regard pop-up trailers as $6000 glorified tents. Also we have a dining canopy, I had some iron pipe cut and threaded in sections with a T at the top and it runs though a hole in the table to stabilize it. Coleman stove, mini Weber grill, collapsable 5 gal water jug, two air mattresses and sleeping bags, real pillows, some cookware, a French press for coffee (very energy efficient way to make coffee). Have a small generator but never use it, we just power the laptops and such from an inverter plugged into the truck (Tracs have a power port in the bed). A couple folding chairs, beer, we plan a menu ahead and take all the food with us, beer, cigars, and beer. Much better mpg in a packed truck as opposed to towing a trailer.

The roof carrier shown here was only to carry our golf clubs because we were heading to FL after the race last year.

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

we camp in our sport trac all the time. we mainly tent it, but when the weather gets cold we also have a camper shell that we throw on. dont get a trailer, in my opinion, its not worth the money and finding a space in your driveway. its more fun roughing it anyway.

Growing up in the mountains of Washington, Oregon and Idaho when we went camping we'd drive the truck as far in the mountains as possible, hiking into the woods for about 3-5 miles and staying a week or two.

Here's an idea if you're looking at trailers....

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/index.php

I'm thinking the rooftop tent from ARB could work too. Especially in this part of the country where it rains a lot, be good to keep off the ground.
I like camping unless it rains. Then camping sucks big-time and I want a trailer with A/C, a kitchen, bathroom, and satellite TV.

Yeah see most of you guys have the sport track Iv got the suv not the truck haha so all I'd have to do is drive in and lay the seats down and go to sleep if I wanted to.

Yeah see most of you guys have the sport track Iv got the suv not the truck haha so all I'd have to do is drive in and lay the seats down and go to sleep if I wanted to.

yup! used to do that in my old rodeo all the time.

I go camping in my X as often as I can, i have a first gen 4 door. I used to just sleep in the back, its the perfect size for two people, if you dont mind getting close. Now that I have a tool box in the back i use a tent. Both ways is alot of fun.:chug:

Back