Camshaft Position Sensor? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor?

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. Just replaced mine 2 days ago, (96 Explorer V6 OHV 4x4). Used the mirror trick - didn't work. Finally found it just below the spark plug wire loom on the back of the block. Since I couldn't see the Damn thing, the only way to replace it was by feel.
So, I literally closed my eyes and got to work. 2 hours later -SUCCESS. The hardest part of the job was getting the new bolts to line up - BY FEEL.
Ran it for the first time this morning - seems to have solved the problem - SO FAR....but I ain't holding my breath....LOL

Spent some $450 + in parts trying to figure out the problem. Including, Crankshaft sensor, Throttle position sensor, IAC, Intake air temperature sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter.
Initial symptoms stalling, poor idle, hard starting. Always ran better in cooler weather. There was 3 codes saying essentially the same thing - primary ignition system - replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack and PCM. -- NO Help.

YES I DID TAKE IT TO GET IT DIAGNOSED. Tech said the biggest issue was 'Hall Effect Sensor out of range', (and a dirty IAC...which he replaced). Great - I have 4 or 5 of the HES SOBs., (mentioned above). The only HES I haven't replaced yet is the VSS on the Tranny....but I did purchase the dang thing.

Like I said, it's running fine right now - but who knows. Once I completely solve the issues - trading it in on a newer model.....yes an Explorer...
I submit a writeup on replacement cam position sensor for the 4.0 OHV. Describing seeing the vane window .

Back