• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft position sensor

k_lansdowne

Reaction score
City, State
Enterprise Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a 1994 Ex that I have been chasing a CEL for quite a while. The failure code is 214, cylinder identification failure. I have already replaced the crankshaft position sensor with no success. The next step seems like it would be the camshaft position sensor. Does anyone know for sure when Ford installed CPS on the 4.0. From everything that I have read it was installed on the 95 and up. I have searched the engine and have not found anything that looks like the CPS in the Chiltons manual. If anyone can shed some light it would be grearly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cam position sensor would go along with the distributorless ignition. The CPS inserts into the same hole where the ditributor was. If you have a distributor, you do not have CPS. If no distributor, check around back of the manifold, where the distributor would have been and you should see the sensor.

I have had the same problem since I bought my Ex. The sensor is on the verrrry back of the engine behind the lower intake manifold. It connects to an oil pump shaft I think.

Good luck finding one used though. They are about $600 new from the dealer. I have been looking for one for 4 years now. The only problem you will get from it is a bit of hesitation upon acceleration. They also have a tendency to squeak a bit.

I recall reading somewhere that they can be repaired, but that was a while back....

You can buy the sensor (synchronizer) drive assembly separately and you can buy the sensor itself separately. From what I remember for the V8, the drive is ~$100 an the sensor ~$30ish.

Been a while since I looked at these parts costs though. V* and 4.0L are VERY similar. (maybe same sensor, but different drive.)

Originally posted by tmsoko
You can buy the sensor (synchronizer) drive assembly separately and you can buy the sensor itself separately. From what I remember for the V8, the drive is ~$100 an the sensor ~$30ish.

Been a while since I looked at these parts costs though. V* and 4.0L are VERY similar. (maybe same sensor, but different drive.)

Not on a 1st gen Ex. You have to get the whole thing, shaft, gear, and sensor.

Theyre right, my only input is; they were on the earlier California cars and later (95?) on all. My non-Cal 93 doesnt have one but the 96 motor that I'm building does.:redexp:

^^^^ You see, I was told my 94 has California emissions, but that just doesn't make sense. My Ex was bought new in Cleveland, then registered in Columbus, Ohio, and now registered in Chicago. It has never once even set foot in California, so why would I have Cali emissions????

ive got the same problem. soemone let us know if you find a way to fix the existing sensor or if theres a salvage yard that carries them
Jerry

^^^^ You see, I was told my 94 has California emissions, but that just doesn't make sense. My Ex was bought new in Cleveland, then registered in Columbus, Ohio, and now registered in Chicago. It has never once even set foot in California, so why would I have Cali emissions????

Mine has California emissions too, and it was made in Louisville, bought new in Missouri, and has never left Missouri. Go figure.

Back