Camshaft Synchro causing power loss? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Synchro causing power loss?

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Exploder 5.0 AWD
1998 Ex 5.0 AWD, 160k
Hey guys, I have been troubleshooting to the best of my abilities and cannot seem to find out what is going on. While accelerating, I am getting blips in losses of power/RPMs. Based off of what I read I thought my coil packs were going out because I would get a nasty clunk/bang that sounded like a misfire or maybe the trans. So I ended up getting new spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Didn't solve the issue.

Now, I just replaced the camshaft synchronizer, so I thought I might unplug it because I did the same while I waited for the new synchro to arrive, and it drove fairly well. The problem goes away, it accelerates just fine. Is this just a timing issue?

The second time I put in the new synchro I made sure to get it aligned properly and insert it when piston #1 was on TDC. Not really sure what else to change. Also I am getting a P0340 Camshaft sensor "A" Circuit code. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Top dead center in on compression stroke?

Tdc happens twice in a 4 stroke, if you align it on the exhaust stroke then you will be 180 out and get a code

After you resolve the cam sensor code you should check your fuel pressure when warm
From what you describe it sounds like a weak fuel pump when hot

Pressure should be 64 psi (+\- 8psi)

Yeah I tore it apart last night again and clarified with some help that it was on the compression stroke, top dead center. Was facing the right way and everything with the tool stuck on top.😕

The fuel pump would make sense except that driving it around today was totally fine, no sputtering, clanks or bangs. I think because I left the synchronizer sensor unplugged so it would seem my problem is coming from that, right?

Either way I think I’m gonna try a new sensor, for some reason I got a random Amazon one when I replaced the whole synchro. I’ll grab one off RockAuto this time.

Thanks for the tips

Let us know how this turns out!

Top dead center in on compression stroke?

Tdc happens twice in a 4 stroke, if you align it on the exhaust stroke then you will be 180 out and get a code

After you resolve the cam sensor code you should check your fuel pressure when warm
From what you describe it sounds like a weak fuel pump when hot

Pressure should be 64 psi (+\- 8psi)
Fuel filter too, could be getting clogged off and on as the fuel sloshes around.

Alright new sensor finally came in from Rockauto.
4CB08DE2-2EAF-4422-985F-F20F97D11087.jpeg

Tool on the synchronizer ready to put back in.

A25678C3-DC68-4013-9B81-CE8940F57133.jpeg

Inserted facing as best 6:00 as I could, one tooth to the right and it was more like 5/5:30.
91128B8F-6ED5-41C6-A0EC-3C33D39453F1.jpeg

BBB1CD4B-2DBA-4B49-A08D-28520BD97B9F.jpeg

And finally the new sensor installed and synchronizer tightened down. Did I miss anything?😂🤦🏼‍♂️
5C7BFA8D-5868-4994-8797-F3BCF832F4FC.jpeg

Looks good as long as you are at tdc cyl 1 compression stroke!

Alrighty folks, it appears that I had a faulty sensor. Obviously I took out the synchronizer and put it back in for good measure, but with the new sensor she is running much better. I've been driving quite a bit the last couple of days and no more sputtering/misfires or weird shifting! I'm sure the new spark plugs, wires, and coils helped too but, note to self don't buy sensors off Amazon ;) Thanks for the help guys.

Back