Camshaft synchro | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft synchro

gixxer750

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt v8 awd
So I tried to install camshaft synchronizer and started truck up and apparently is was not in exact position. Truck is now running rough. Not sure where to go from here. Anyone know how I can get it back to normal running condition?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go grab the indexing tool out of the junk drawer and re-do the installation. No other way around it.

Bill

Position

How do I find the right position of the rotating shaft now that I have turned over the motor?(I started it after the new install and the position was off a bit) so now I have to find the exact position of the rotating shaft. I have the marks for the outer which I can line the outer up but the inner Is off?

You'll have to find TDC and go from there. Which means pulling the plug from cylinder #1

Bill

Ran out of daylight unfortunately. Tomorrow I will be back at it trying to align the synchro. Hopefully tomorrow will have better results. If not then I'm going to try and buy a psi n vacuum guage n set to tdc. Wish there was an image showing position of inner shaft at tdc.

How do I find the right position of the rotating shaft now that I have turned over the motor?(I started it after the new install and the position was off a bit) so now I have to find the exact position of the rotating shaft. I have the marks for the outer which I can line the outer up but the inner Is off?

i think your confused and over thinking things....with the engine at TDC the syncro can be taken out-spun-reinstalled in 3 min.....

the position tool that goes on top of the syncro is what clocks syncro to the correct position at TDC....

"the shaft down in the hole--inner shaft position" is the oil pump shaft and it will turn and ingage with the syncro when you install the syncro into the block -so dont worry about it at all---unless no oil pressure when you start engine-watch dash

sorry i dont have a pic ready but you can google it easy...

arrow on tool points direct at you...6oclock to your gut when installed on top of syncro and in block

when installing it into block...the arrow will need to be pointing around 4oclock give or take and then rotate clockwise and slide down into block ending at 6oclock

The #1 piston should be at TDC of the compression stroke as in a 4 cycle engine, the piston can also be at TDC of the exhaust stroke. Since the camshaft rotates once for every 2 rotations of the crankshaft. with spark plugs removed, have a helper bump the starter while you plug the #1 spark plug hole with your thumb. when you feel the air pressure building up, you know the piston is coming up to compression. Slip a pencil into the park plug hole , and slowly turn the engine by hand until the pencil sticks out the most. That "should" be very close to the TDC mark on the harmonic pulley.

Once you have the #1 cylinder at TDC, and, alignment tool on the sensor synch shaft, it doesn't matter which way it is pointing, as long as the wiring plug can reach it.

...alignment tool on the sensor synch shaft, it doesn't matter which way it is pointing, as long as the wiring plug can reach it.
Exactly! People get confused by the position of sensor assembly relative to the engine block - actually it doesn't matter (as long you can plug in the connector)!
What matters is the relative position of the inside 'flag' versus the 'notch' in the surrounding wall (for the sensor itself).

IMG_0430.png

Closest to front of vehicle passenger side closest to radiator.

Back