• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Synchronizers

Centaurious

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I have a 1994 Explorer with the windowed Syncro unit. I wondered if the later model with the straight connector had the same spec Hall Effect unit inside and if the interrupter on the end of the shaft was the same shape.

I know some of the interrupters are a semi-circle and some are a small tab. This would greatly affect what signal the sensor sent to the ECM. Both units are a 3 wire sensor.

The reason I ask this is I'm getting a 214 CM code and I noticed that the sensor was loose in the housing and would turn left and right a small amount. Pricing the units the 1994 unit is much more expensive than the 1996 unit. and would save a lot even with a replacement connector.

Thanks for your help.

That thread is good and it explains that the 1994 and the 1995 are the same. It says nothing about the 96-98 units.

I'm wondering if this Dorman 689-105 for 96-98 if I replaced my connector,

31rhoX1KRAL.jpg

can be used in place of this Dorman 689-110 for 94-95.

71IlPAPplzL._SX450_.jpg

The connectors are very similar with only the alignment ribs and the lock tabs being different.
I don't know if the internals are close enough to work. This is the question I would like to know.

The Dorman units are used because the images are better, I know they have a poor reputation.

Back