• Register Today It's free!

Can’t repair what I can’t see ...

GeraldFord

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 2.0T
I do all the repairs to my Explorer that I can handle (save tires and alignment). I love working on my truck and saving all that money! This forum has been instrumental to some of the information I’ve needed in repairs.

Maybe one of the easiest things you can do to upgrade your Explorer... change the doorhandles. I wanted to get rid of all my chrome exterior pieces and did so. But as I am installing new black door handles and I hear a snap when installing one. Seems a spring has come off on the inside of the door mechanism. I remove the door panel and could not see what my hand was trying to fix because of the location of the problem.
The dealership wants $200… I can’t afford something like that so I am about to cut into the door and just remove the sheet metal that’s blocking the problem. Any advice?

Yes, do not cut the sheet metal. Remove the mechanism and look for the problem that way.

I can’t figure out where or how to remove the mechanism. I don’t have any literature, I can’t find anything online. There is a small hole that a tool fits through, but other than that it seems impossible without some kind of guide. Cutting a hole in the sheet-metal will weaken the door? Because I’m not really concerned about the value of the resale, besides it’s hidden behind the door panel LOL

I’m not sure if my reply posted, I’m new at this this is my first post. I can’t tell where to disconnect the mechanism. There is a small hole a tool will fit through but it may just be for adjustments? I would hate to somehow remove the mechanism and then not be able to reattach it because I just can’t see anything. Cutting the sheet metal will weaken the door? Or is it just aesthetics because I’m not concerned about resale, and besides it is hidden behind the door panel.

Back