Can a Brake booster leaking vacuum... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a Brake booster leaking vacuum...

ranger7ltr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Great State of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
Can a leaking brake booster cause a lean code? My truck started throwing P0171 and P0174 codes at me recently and I know the booster leaks as I have no brake pressure 10 secs after I kill the engine...My vacuum gauge though shows a good solid 20-22 in./hg. vacuum so it can't be a big leak...I guess...

The intake gaskets should not be leaking as they were installed about a year ago and the bolts are tight...

I have been tracking down vacuum leaks and it would seem that the more leaks I fix the more the lean codes show up...I replaced vacuum lines to the purge valve, the pcv valve, and i am checking the rear canister lines this weekend...

And the truck runs fine so if it is a vacuum leak it is not affecting driveability...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely can and usually does.

It could be a dirty MAF sensor but if you know you have a vac leak it very well may be that.

there are ways to test your booster based on response of the pedal to force at idle and revved... search should help. I would agree with previous post that you might be "barking up the wrong tree".

My brake booster also leaks and I now use it in "manual mode". Yes, it will be a big vacuum leak to your engine. I plugged off the intake side for now until I can get a new booster. About 60 bucks at autozone.

Back