Can a rear main seal go bad quickly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a rear main seal go bad quickly?

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
Like, 2 weeks or so. Or would it be leaking because it wasn't installed right. I've had it replaced twice this year. It was leaking for awhile before I had it replaced the first time. I still had a leak and they told me it was the seal again. I told him to look at his records closer, he then said "oops, we'll fix that now at no cost to you". I'm not sure if it is the seal leaking again but the drops I see sure do look familiar.

It was PepBoys btw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you let pepboys install a rear main seal? well that was the first mistake..... the seals shouldnt go bad in 2 weeks, however if they were installed by idiots (which it sounds like is the case) the it being damaged is most likely due to bad install causing the seal to fail, again....

Only ricers go to pepboys. :D

Yeah sounds like install. Or it's not the RMS leaking. You sure it's comming from there? Not the pan, or pressure switch, or up top somewhere leaking down.

I had my seal done on my '97 (at Ford), and I specifically asked them SEVERAL times, if there was ANYTHING else that they should go ahead and replace since they had to pull the tranny, and it was such a big job for a small thing. They assured me that was it. PS - there is apparently some sleave that goes over the shaft, which the seal goes over. That was chewed up too, and they said it would wear the seal down again if they didn't replace it. 2 weeks does sound pretty quick though.

Make sure your PCV valve is working right, no kinks in hoses etc. or just buy a new valve. Also a seriously restricted exhaust system can cause seals to blow by letting exhaust back pressure into the crankcase via the valve guide/stem clearance in a worn engine.

Back