Can a TT go over 2"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can a TT go over 2"?

Mkpn24

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, I'm relatively new to posting on the forums but am always poking around to see whats good for the ex. First of all I know that a torsion twist is the easiest way to raise the front but I was wondering how much could it go. I already have the driver side bolt all the way in and the passenger side has about 7 threads away from being all the way in. I was considering getting longer bolts to raise it a little more. I know that you shouldn't go past 2" but I was wonder how much it could really go. This isn't a primary vehicle all I do is drive it on the beach during the summer months and whenever it snows in the winter. I was wondering how much of a lift I could get out of the torsion bars. I went up I would say about 1.75 inches in the front with it already but I'm not 100% sure because I did my TT a while back and Im running warrior shackles with hellwig spring helpers and the truck sits level but I need more lift in the front. How much more can the torsion bars go if I get longer bolts?

Heres some pics so you can see what Im working with. I can add more if anyones interested.

img0002f.png

img0635d.png

img0628y.jpg

img0004kly.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it's 4WD and how rapid will the cv joints wear?

I estimate mine to be around 2.5". I've been running it like that for over a year. Probably around 8000 miles. They've seen some trail use, but nothing too hardcore, and I have NOT heard a peep out of my CV joints yet. It rides pretty stiff in the front though.
338355_434351566601237_1644071703_o_zps4d462aa6.jpg

Did you have to go with longer bolts? My driver side is all the way in already. Also, my truck wouldn't see any trails just sand and snow so nothing crazy. It's not an everyday driver anyway so I'm not to worried about the rapid wear. If I did 6000 miles a year at this point I think it would be a lot with the truck. Do you have a body lift as well on your truck? It looks much higher than mine.

Did you have to go with longer bolts? My driver side is all the way in already. Also, my truck wouldn't see any trails just sand and snow so nothing crazy. It's not an everyday driver anyway so I'm not to worried about the rapid wear. If I did 6000 miles a year at this point I think it would be a lot with the truck. Do you have a body lift as well on your truck? It looks much higher than mine.

I did have to use longer bolts. I think I got 130mm long hardened bolts because that's all I could find locally. You'll have to cut them down and grind the ends round anyway to fit the cups on the torsion bars. Look here for an illistrated write up. My driver side was bottomed out also. I think it might be because the driver and fuel tank are always on that side stressing that bar more.

No body lift. I have 2" lift leafs in the rear with 1" longer custom made shackles, so between 2.5 and 3 inches of lift rear. I just leveled the front with the rear, so the lift could even be 3" in the front. It was so sagged in the front when I got it, I have no idea how much it is lifted above factory.

Remember to get an alignment when you're done. Good luck.

97' 4x4 4.0 ohv my bars are cranked up to 4" with adjustable ball joints. run maybe 10,000 or 12,000 miles including a solid month in Uwharrie and almost every weekend on the trail on um and havent had a single CV problem... knock on wood... as long as you take good care of your equipment, make it all fit well and maintain it, you can push it to the limit almost daily.

I have a buddy with probably 3-4 inches of TT on his ranger. It ate CV joints up.

I think I'm going to give it a go this weekend and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I replace some cv joints.

go for it man. heres what i have noticed: the ride is STIFF. i feel everything on the road. doesn't bother me but some passengers used to cushy cars say it rumbles. the wheel hub assemblies take one hell of a beating some times. my ball joints wore out faster with the tt lift. i swapped um for adjustable ones and they have been fine. im sure other suspension parts take a good beating with my front end as stiff as it is but haven't had any problems other than expected accelerated wear and tear that comes along with doing what we do to vehicles.

With 1.75" i think the firmness to the ride makes it better. Between that and the AAL in the back I have so much less body roll, even with no bushings left on my sway bar.

Back