can a v6 to v8 swap be done on a 2006 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can a v6 to v8 swap be done on a 2006 explorer xlt

jay_there84

Reaction score
City, State
el paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
Just had a question to see if I can swap out my v6 to a v8 and what I would need. I saw some posts for the older generation explorers doing it but nothing on the 4th gen. I was thinking of buying one and giving it up and just put it in when my v6 craps out. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe the transmission has to be change as well, cause the 4th gen explorers

v6 = 5 speed trans
v8 = 6 speed trans

engine, tranny, radiator, ECM, harness, engine mounts, air intake will be different, drive shaft, transmission mounts, headers, exhaust,...... The rear end should be the same.

I have owned both the v6 and the v8 4th gen's. Your wasting your money to do a full swap. I suggest just go find a new-er 4th gen and buy it. Might as well fork over a few bucks since a full swap is going to be a hefty price tag of a deal.

as a side note my v6 got 22-24 mpg average
my current V8 gets 16-18... if i am lucky i might get 19

it is an increased cost as well so keep that in mind also.

Just one more comment. Years ago I used to belong to a Thunderbird club, I had a 90 Thunderbird SC with a supercharged 3.8 v6. Many guys with a normal 3.8 wanted a v8 in their Birds. Many of them attempted, started those projects which were relatively simple but time, and money consuming. The best approach was to find a rear ended car, and buy. Then you have 2 cars next to each other and start swapping. I can't tell you how many of them I saw on ebay were you could get 2 cars for a price of one, both cars with motors out, wires hanging everywhere. Just buy a v8 if you want one, friendly advise.

Yeah I want to get one from the junk Yard and just rebuild it with my daughter. Put in performance parts (just for power not for racing) the reason I don't get a mustang is because I have a big family and won't fit in it. I had to get rid of my 07 mustang because I had another baby. I just want to do it for fun and kind of put a theme to it. I was thinking of either a Harley Davidson truck theme or a mustang theme. I'll probably do it more for car shows.

If you have low miles on your explorer, I would find out how much you can get out of it. Make a craigslist posting in your local area and see how much people respond to you ad. If you can 15k for it, then you would have no problem finding 2006-2010 explorer v8for about the same price you sold your vehicle imo.

Pros and cons even those its a ford part and your vehicle is under warranty ford will not fix it, they only fix parts that came with the vehicle from the factory.

I have 80,000 on my ex right now so my warranty is over. I would hate to get rid of this truck because I have taken care of it so much. I haven't had any big issues besides radiator, tps , and battery replacement. the only thing i didnt do my self was the tps because it was still under warranty at the time it happened. I think i am going to keep it until i need to push it home. if anything ill probably just get another explorer or even maybe an expedition

Back