Can anyone identify what side mirrors I should have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can anyone identify what side mirrors I should have?

PickleLips

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer EB
1998 Explorer EB sohc
I just recently bought this truck and I'm trying to get all the issues worked out. I noticed the side mirror power switch wasn't working, so I pulled one of the doors apart to check the wiring and found the two connectors were zip tied together. Either the harness or the mirrors must have been replaced at some point because the two don't match up. The smaller male plug is the one coming from the mirror, and the larger one is the harness. I'm hoping someone can identify the type of mirrors and/or the harness by the connectors.

http://imgur.com/P4hnJuz
P4hnJuz

Welcome, and the mirrors will be from 95-01's, and six wires. The Limited models have an extra wire for the heat function, and use the same connectors. So that four wire unit you pictured looks wrong.

Avoid aftermarket mirrors, they typically do no adjust properly.

After educating myself a little on the types of mirrors that come with these trucks, it looks like someone replaced the passengers side with a basic four pin mirror when it should have been the type with puddle lamps. My drivers side does have the correct type. Back to pull a part I go.

Oh, the earlier years might have used only four wires, before the puddle lights became popular. Everyone loves those lights, so do be sure to find those. Look for nice Limited mirrors too, those are not hard to wire in(add the extra wire).

Back