Can anyone recommend a plug wire set for '99 and later 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can anyone recommend a plug wire set for '99 and later 5.0?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
I've seen some posts regarding wire sets for 5.0's, but most seem to be for pre-'99 5.0's (I'm not sure in what year the change was made...maybe in '98).
There's clearly a big difference in the types of wires. The guy at the parts store sold me a set of Ford Racing wires, and assured me that they'd fit.
It didn't take me too long to realize that they wouldn't. They must be for pre '99 or pre '98 5.0's. No way in hell these will fit.
The wires on my engine have 'snap-on' caps, and the two rear plug boots on each bank have aluminum heat sheilds on them.
Has anybody had experience with aftermarket custom-fit wire sets for post '99 5.0's (maybe post '98's; I don't know for sure).
I've seen a few posts about Jacobs, and Taylor Spiro, but I can't seem to find a reference for my specific year/engine.

Thanks,
J.P.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to find the same info, for my 98 5.0.
Would love to get some motorsport 9mm but x styled.

Same here. I'm thinking of getting the Accel helioarc (or something like that) ones.

Looks like I'll be going with the Taylor Spiros through Summit Racing. Their price is reasonable @ $89.34 after shipping. They only had blue in stock, which are the same price as red or black. I'd prefer black, but what the heck.....I'll be able to spot my plug wires a bit easier now. Summit had good things to say about Taylor.
Taylor gave me the part no. as 72023. That part number may be for the black, however.
I'll do a follow-up post as to how they look and how they go on.
A few questions for those of you with post '98 5.0's:
If you still have oem wires, do they have aluminum heat sheilds on the rear two plugs on both cylinder banks? Mine do, and I'm wondering if this is important, since the plug recess is really tight with those cast manifolds.
That's another thing. The part lookup that I came across at NAPA gave two wiresets (made by Belden, who I've never heard of)...one for a tubular exhaust manifold, and one for the cast. Did the 5.0's come with tubular steel exhaust manifolds? My cast manifolds look skinny & restrictive. I don't think I've ever seen a V-8 that looks like it could use headers more than this one. I'm not sure I want to go down that road, though, since it seems to be a pretty computer-sensitive engine, and the CEL is really sensitive.

J.P.

sorry i don't have any input on the subject, but this is an interesting post i would like to find out about the plug wires in question.

Hmm, that's interesting, Thallarsen. I want blue wires but the ones you are talking about are a bit too expensive for me. The Accel ones are blue, too, so I may just go with them.

Thallarsen
Its been raining here all day so I did not get a chance to look at the wires on the 98.

hrbib21
Have you seen pic of the wires you like??
I would like to know if they have the same coil end design?
I would like to have the same factory design.

Yes, but they don't appear to have the metal heat shield on the end, if that's what you mean. I am wondering if I can remove the heat shield from the set I already have.

But, you said "coil end" so I guess you mean the end that comes from the distibutor/ignition? That I didn't see. I'm going to have to go to Advance Auto Parts this weekend to check them out because they carry them.

The original looks so cool with the flat top.
I will try to stop by the ford dealer and pick up a motorsport catalog in the morning. Maybe they have something for the x.
I recently bought some for the mustang for $40. which replaced the $110 livewires that was stolen. I got them from summit.

I going to venture a guess here....the coil end 'caps' are going to be the flat, 'clip on' cap type, regardless of whether the wireset is oem or aftermarket (I'm guessing that's what pushes up the price of these things). When I tried the wrong set (Ford Racing) it was clear that the coil plug-ins are designed for a clip on cap as opposed to a boot, like the earlier V-8s & sixes. Also, the 90 degree routing from the coils seem necessary. Anything less than 90 degrees would cause the wires to stick up, and might interfere with the hood, etc.
It looks like the proper routing of the wires on this engine is critical, and seems somewhat complicated if you're going from scratch. Since my wires are original, I plan to photo-document everything from the coil routing, over & under, to the clamp holders, and will be replacing the wires one at a time. I'd hate to have to guess how these things are supposed to be routed. Doing it wrong could clearly run into trouble.
As far as the heat sheilds are concerned, they pop off the boots with no problem. The plug-end boots have non-tapered narrow ends and a groove that the sheilds pop into. The question is whether the aftermarkets have boots that will take the sheilds. It might be a mistake to try to use them if there isn't a snug fit. A loose fit would possibly cause some movement of the sheild, then chafing and eventual premature wear through of the wire @ the plug end. Those alum. sheilds would make an excellent bridge for a wire to arc @ the manifold or block. I've seen that the silicones used in quality wiresets can stand up to 600 deg. Still, I would guess that constant unsheilded exposure to the wires & boots would break down the insulation prematurely; kinda like a dash in the AZ sun.
I should be getting my wires on Monday or Tuesday, and will post a description of what they are.

J.P.

It looks like the proper routing of the wires on this engine is critical
I can vouch for that. Check this thread I started: Dead Link Removed. Turns out the problem I was having was due to the plug wire burning on the exhaust manifold.

Have the Taylor Spiro-Pros gone up that much. I have a set on my 97 which has the heat shields on the ones you mentioned. I bougt mine right at a year ago and paid $64.95.
They are a nice set however. Buying the Taylor's just boosted our local economy as they are manufatured about 5 miles from where I live:)

Dan,
I don't think the Taylor wires have gone up much. I believe there's a difference between '97/earlier and '98/later wires..particularly the coil-end connectors.
I could be wrong though....I'm not that familiar with '97's.

J.P.

Anyone bought wires yet????
Are Ngk good for explorers or other brand spark plugs??

Update

Garth- I posted an update (disregard the heading saying Jacobs wires...my mistake...they're Taylors). james t helped out by posting some photos of the wires, and some installed shots of them on a '99 5.0.
Heres the link:
Update

J.P.

Thallarsen,

My 97 V8 has the tubular manifold, and I can tell you DONT get it! mine cracked. The diameter isn't anything like a header anyway, and I dont think headers can be had for this engine. Be happy with the iron manifold. Oh, and BTW, I installed the wires you mention. They are made by "Belkin", who also makes printer cables and such. I have had problems withthem. One wire was crimped shut on one end, and I have an intermittent misfire with another...I think because its too loose on the plug.

FYI, if you go to the "for sell" forum, they have posted some red 9mm Ford Racing plug wires for a 99 5.0 those would be great for your X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs? You must use the bet ones. NGK or DENSO ( iridium ) the best out there, kind of expensive but worth it

Back