Can anyone recommend an aftermarket PATS key programmer: 99 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket PATS key programmer: 99 ford explorer

97_Road_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2-1999 Eddie Bauer, 97 XL
I am looking for an aftermarket PATS key programmer. We have one original PATS II key for both our 99 Ford Explorers.
I know from reading on here and other sites that Mid-1998 & later Explorers you HAVE TO HAVE BOTH ORIGINAL KEYS. I called all the local Ford dealers, and they DO NOT program the keys now since the Federal Gov't now doesn't require dealers to cut & reprogram after a vehicle is over 10 years old. You'd think that IS when they would do it more.

I thought it would be cheaper to buy one & do it myself.

I found one on Ebay:
SBB by silca. It has many vehicles in it, not just Ford's.

What's the word? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call a locksmith.. Most have the machines that can cut & code a key.

Thanks BLEE1099. Thought of it. I haven't priced it yet with a locksmith, but everything on the internet says it won't be cheap. The other issue like the local Ford Dealers not cutting & Programming keys..because we are in a rural area locksmiths may not do it either.

The one thing you run into with the key programmers is finding a place that'll cut a new key for you.. Some places simply won't cut a key you bring in off the street, some will actually slide the key into a machine that detects the chip and will tell you they can't work on them due to liability.

Now that I didn't think of. Will check on it. Thanks.
I had a 1997 Explorer & went to Ohio 4 years ago on business. The first day I lost my one ignition key. I had another at home, but it didn't do me any good there. I called the ford dealer, and they cut me one from the VIN # I gave them over the phone. I was surprised they'd do that, but glad they did. The 97's I don't think use Pats.

I am going to call a couple locksmiths in the A.M. to see about prices. I know from reading about PATS II that you can't put the second key (unprogrammed) into the ignition or it will delete everything. You must have 2 working programmed keys, then can program 3 up to (I think) 8 keys.

FYI: I think one way around screwing up the vehicle when testing the 2nd key after being cut is to disconnect the battery, then try it in the ignition. If it will work then you're good.

I agree, try a locksmith. I used one in Parkersburg, WV and got a discount because I had AAA. Still not cheap, but pretty much the only route out there.

Locksmith quote: 160.00

Ford dealer quote: 115.00

First of all, that's a load of crap about the dealers not doing it anymore, just because they don't have to. Whoever you spoke w/ was either misinformed, or just plain lazy. I would go in personally, and speak with the parts manager. There is no reason why they can't do it. If you did decide to get it done at a dealer, then I simply would raise the biggest, loudest ruckus I could, and not leave until they did it. Believe me, chase off a couple of perspective new car buyers with your loud proclamations of the dealers lousy customer service, and they'd do it just to shut you up. (They can't throw you off the public sidewalk/street just off their property.)

However, you're in luck, as you don't need the dealer. Go to Home Depot. Seriously. The key cutting kiosk is actually "owned" by an outside company, and they do "chip" keys. I believe it was $89, last time I bothered to look at the sign. It seems they only do it on certain days of the week, when a particular person (who is trained?) is working.
If you just need a key that will open the doors, then Walmart can cut a non-chip blank for $2-$3. Of course, it won't start the truck.

I recently took a cut key to a locksmith. He programed it useing my original key for $50.

Go to Super Walmart Automotive dept. $50.00-60.00.

Ed

I am looking for an aftermarket PATS key programmer. We have one original PATS II key for both our 99 Ford Explorers.
I know from reading on here and other sites that Mid-1998 & later Explorers you HAVE TO HAVE BOTH ORIGINAL KEYS. I called all the local Ford dealers, and they DO NOT program the keys now since the Federal Gov't now doesn't require dealers to cut & reprogram after a vehicle is over 10 years old. You'd think that IS when they would do it more.

I thought it would be cheaper to buy one & do it myself.

I found one on Ebay:
SBB by silca. It has many vehicles in it, not just Ford's.

What's the word? :confused:

i think that key works up to 2002 windstar if its the box key. your dealership just does not want to deal cars with 10 years or older, i would try a different one since i think they are just messed up. they should be wanting to do out of warr cars as much as in warr.

Walmart did my son's key for his Taurus. It had a chip in it that other places would not duplicate it. $50-60 and worked good.
Ed

I called 2 local locksmiths this morning and haven't had a reply call yet.

I'M IN LUCK!! I called my local dealer, & talked to the parts mgr. I told him I bought 2 keys off Ebay and needed one of them programmed with my original key so I'd have 2 masters... FREE key cutting and $29.95 +tax to program it. That is a heck of a lot cheaper than a locksmith would have probably been. Still don't know why I was told they can't. One of the Ford dealers is now out of business. Wonder why.

Thanks everyone!!!

Still say Walmart. $50-60 includes price of the key blank and programming.

Ed

ACE HARDWARE, i had one done for $65 and i got to make sur eit started the truck before i paid for it.

Back