Can BLIS be added? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can BLIS be added?

scooby-snack

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello All!

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer limited. I have seen the BLIS mirrors beng sold on Ebay. I wanted to know if they can be added to my Explorer? I was thinking that the vech may already be setup with the option as it looks like th device / Radar itself is in the mirror?

Thanks for any help!

-Scoob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums!!!

The sensors are mounted in the rear bumper. I'm not sure if it would be a simple mirror retrofit, that would be too easy :)

Welcome to the forums!!!

The sensors are mounted in the rear bumper. I'm not sure if it would be a simple mirror retrofit, that would be too easy :)
Close but no cigar Vince. The BLIS sensors are mounted on the sides rearward of the rear wheels behind the bumper facia and are not visible from the outside. They are actually a radar unit. The signals penetrate through the vehicle body.
Scoob, I doubt that the OEM system can be added later unless the wiring is already in place and like Vince mentioned, the BLIS is integrated into the two outside mirrors.
I assume that even without the BLIS system, you likely still have the option to turn it OFF and ON in the left hand screen?? I think those menus are standard whether or not you have the various options.

Peter

I believe those may be on ebay for those that wipe the mirror out on their garage door because they forgot to fold them in.....

:D

As great of a feature that it is, I find my self trusting the lower model convex mirrors more. I find the convex mirrors to be perfect for blind spot visibility, when I drive a vehicle with BLISS I still find myself shoulder checking as I can't trust the system 100%. It is probably just a learning thing but I don't trust all of the technology 100%. I think I would still add convex mirrors to a bliss equipped vehicle. That's just me though.

Close but no cigar Vince. The BLIS sensors are mounted on the sides rearward of the rear wheels behind the bumper facia and are not visible from the outside. They are actually a radar unit. The signals penetrate through the vehicle body.
Scoob, I doubt that the OEM system can be added later unless the wiring is already in place and like Vince mentioned, the BLIS is integrated into the two outside mirrors.
I assume that even without the BLIS system, you likely still have the option to turn it OFF and ON in the left hand screen?? I think those menus are standard whether or not you have the various options.

Peter

Jeez Peter, I didn't think this was going to be a test! :)

I was just speaking in a general fashion. In the future sir, I promise to be much more precise in my descriptions and postings! (Truthfully, I'm on my tablet and I hate typing on it, so my replies tend to be much more brief in that case, lol)

As great of a feature that it is, I find my self trusting the lower model convex mirrors more. I find the convex mirrors to be perfect for blind spot visibility, when I drive a vehicle with BLISS I still find myself shoulder checking as I can't trust the system 100%. It is probably just a learning thing but I don't trust all of the technology 100%. I think I would still add convex mirrors to a bliss equipped vehicle. That's just me though.
No, it isn't just you. :thumbsup: +1

Peter

Jeez Peter, I didn't think this was going to be a test! :)

I was just speaking in a general fashion. In the future sir, I promise to be much more precise in my descriptions and postings! (Truthfully, I'm on my tablet and I hate typing on it, so my replies tend to be much more brief in that case, lol)
It's obvious you're spending way too much time enjoying driving around in your new Explorer and not enough time reading the manual. :D:D

Peter

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money to install the BLIS system. I have it and really haven't had a need for it. Of course I'm old school and depend upon my mirrors and being aware of what's around me instead of relying on technology. :)

I have the XLT with the regular mirror with the little blindspot mirror. I think it's a lot better than having BLIS. Electronics can fail, your eyes won't. The extra money for something that could possibly break one day is just too much in my opinion.

Can you retrofit Ford Blis system in a used 2016 Explorer Limited ?

Can you retrofit Ford Blis system in a used 2016 Explorer Limited ?

Need two Side Obstacle Detection modules - Left and right (mounts behind bumpers)

Two new mirrors.

Wiring.

Way to program modules. Need to configure IPC (instrument cluster) and BCM (body control module) to turn the option on.

It's gonna be one of those if you wanted that option you should buy a vehicle with that option situations.

I have a lead on 2 Bliss mirrors. Wondering if i can just swap them out, and use forscan to enable them? I have a 2018 xlt.

I have a lead on 2 Bliss mirrors. Wondering if i can just swap them out, and use forscan to enable them? I have a 2018 xlt.
Your thread was moved to this thread found with the 'Search' feature. See post #12.

Peter

Short answer: NOPE. You would need sensors, wiring, a lot of forscan knowledge, etc. Anything can be done if you have deep enough pockets and time to spend on the project. Me? I think it’s easier and smarter to just buy it correctly the first time.

Short answer: NOPE. You would need sensors, wiring, a lot of forscan knowledge, etc. Anything can be done if you have deep enough pockets and time to spend on the project. Me? I think it’s easier and smarter to just buy it correctly the first time.
Forscan is simple. I was thinking with the newer(2016 and up) the sensors are in place already, with the wiring harness?

Back