Can bumper be painted?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Can bumper be painted??

i'm getting the X fixed after the accident, and all along i wanted to paint the grille and bumper all black to match the truck. i had a 99 xlt bumper on with the chrome housings. just wondering if i get another bumper, and it's not smooth like the EB, limited, or sport ones i think, can i paint that bumpy type of bumper? like for an xlt or whatever other model they came on?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
A MUCH better solution would be to get one that is meant to be painted. A professional can paint the textured bumper fairly well, but the paintable ones are still a much better option.

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
If you still get a textured one, you *can* do it yourself. I painted the plastic pieces of my rear bumper (kinda the same texture). It is smooth, but textured if that makes sense. I'm sure with enough sanding you could make a textured one very smooth. It just wasn't an option for me to sand it b/c of all the ridges, it would have taken years to d.

Here is what my rear bumper looks like. The plastic pieces used to be grey...

Attachments

• picture004x.jpg
    picture004x.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 299

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
that looks good hydroxy. thats what i'm gonna do with the back. i know what you mean abot the ridges...screw that. did your rear have the chrome also? i have chrome and then the pads, ut i want the chrome painted too. just wonderin if you did that too.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
sandpaper, patience, primer and spraypaint can do amazingly decent work on most surfaces ;)

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
i have de-grained all of my bumper trim. basically, you scuff it first, then hit it with a thin layer of filler primer. sand smooth, then filler prime again. do this about 6-10 times, and it will come out smooth.

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Originally posted by james t
i have de-grained all of my bumper trim. basically, you scuff it first, then hit it with a thin layer of filler primer. sand smooth, then filler prime again. do this about 6-10 times, and it will come out smooth.

Hopefully he can get one that is ready to be painted. I know after I did my bumpers, I was sick of sanding, never want to do it again...

And no, I didn't have chrome. Here is the thread of my bumper paintings.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96845

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Prepping stage:
14574HC_Airdam_9_20_3_007.jpg

Filler stage:
1457410_5_3_008.jpg

Primer stage:
1457410_5_3_009.jpg

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
I'm surprised you didn't get overspray on your radiator.

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Hehe... a little over spray... no big deal... :)

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
Originally posted by hydroxy
If you still get a textured one, you *can* do it yourself. I painted the plastic pieces of my rear bumper (kinda the same texture). It is smooth, but textured if that makes sense. I'm sure with enough sanding you could make a textured one very smooth. It just wasn't an option for me to sand it b/c of all the ridges, it would have taken years to d.

Here is what my rear bumper looks like. The plastic pieces used to be grey...

Hydroxy,

Where did you get those taillight covers?

Michael

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
expo5.0 made them custom for me.

If you just get the black covers that have the bars going across and cut out the middle bars, that is pretty much what he did I believe.