Can Front & Rear Climate Controls be Synced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can Front & Rear Climate Controls be Synced?

random155

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 XLT
Just brought home a new 2018 XLT. I was wondering if there is any way to sync the front and rear seat climate without having to manually adjust the rear to match the front. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations on the new XLT and welcome to the 5th gen. Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing you are referring to the second row climate controls and not the seats?
I haven't read the 2018 Owner's Manual that much to see what it says about that. Perhaps someone with a 2018 would know off-hand.
You also need to update your profile if you no longer have the 2007. Thanks.

Peter

Yes second row climate is what I'm referring to.
Only place I could find it in the online manual was page 444. Hope that helps. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Only place I could find it in the online manual was page 444. Hope that helps. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Yeah I saw that... doesnt look like it can be synced to the front seat climate. Thats a little annoying but oh well. Let me know if anyone finds something different.

I believe on my 2017 I can turn rear controls off and the rear heat/AC will follow front controls. Or maybe I remember that from my 2014, or maybe I remember that from my Saturn. Or maybe I'm just making up rememberies

Yeah I saw that... doesnt look like it can be synced to the front seat climate. Thats a little annoying but oh well. Let me know if anyone finds something different.

I think it is a horrible design...the front and the rear have no communication between them. GM did it right where the adjustment of temperature is in relation to the temperature set in the front.

If you have the temperature setting in "the middle", with no bias towards hot or cold, it only blows air at a temp "in the middle". So when you get in a hot car and the interior is very warm, if you don't turn down the temperature to the cold setting, it never blows AC in the back. Same thing with heat in the winter.

I guess there are 2 ways of looking at this. One is that the driver of front passenger controls the heating/cooling for the entire vehicle by having the system 'synced' or the rear passengers can chose their own heating/cooling settings. I think I'd prefer the latter. Being the only one in the vehicle 95% of the time the current set-up has never been an issue nor have I actually paid any attention to it.

Peter

I just came from a GM vehicle. I only kept it 2 years before I had to ditch it. While the options are a cut above the explorer, the reliability was horrible. I'll take a few less options with my explorer before I ever go back to GM. I've had 3 GM'S and 3 Ford's, and can say the Ford's have outlasted the GMs in every way.

I guess there are 2 ways of looking at this. One is that the driver of front passenger controls the heating/cooling for the entire vehicle by having the system 'synced' or the rear passengers can chose their own heating/cooling settings. I think I'd prefer the latter. Being the only one in the vehicle 95% of the time the current set-up has never been an issue nor have I actually paid any attention to it.

Peter
Then why default a sync between the front passengers...and not blow different temperatures unless the passenger wants it? Or what about when you have small children in the back, those that cannot adjust the temperature for themselves? What about when there is nobody in the back, and you could easily have it blowing warmer air than the front, putting more pressure on the system on the front system to keep cool?

Honestly...how often do people mess with the climate settings in another persons car anyway, especially if the car is at a comfortable temperature? I know I hardly change the temp in my vehicle.

Nothing wrong with giving rear passengers the ability to adjust the temperature, but it is silly to not have the two systems (front and rear) synced unless changed (in my opinion of course).

...... What about when there is nobody in the back, and you could easily have it blowing warmer air than the front, putting more pressure on the system on the front system to keep cool?
According to the Manual, you can control the rear settings from the front but I'm not sure if it applies only to the fan. As I mentioned, I have never played around with the controls since I almost never have any passengers. However they are set for the back, it has never been an issue in hot or cold weather. Maybe some time down the road I'll have a closer look. In any case, while it is a legitimate concern it doesn't seem to be a big issue since this is the only time it has been brought up in 7+ years.

Rear fan speed control lock: When illuminated, you can only operate the rear
passenger settings through the front controls.

Peter

You can control rear climate from the front, but can't sync it to front. So it it Need a to he turned up and down separately from front climate

If you turn rear off and turn back on it syncs to front. Which can be done in SYNC 3.

Your previous reply to random155 seemed quite clear to me. Not sure what's not to understand on EXSport 17's part.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your previous reply to random155 seemed quite clear to me. Not sure what's not to understand on EXSport 17's part.

Peter

Its clear and seems easy but didn't work for me. I guess I should have asked, turn off complete climate system or just rear and then turn it back on?

Back