Can I change front seats in 1996 Explore | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I change front seats in 1996 Explore

Tbonejr

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I just purchased a 1996 Explorer XLT ,Auto trany, V6. Can I change from Bucket seats in the front to like a split bench or something similar ?? I know they would have to be aftermarket or come out of another type of vehicle, but I don't know where to start. Im used to trucks with the bench seats. Not trying to be negative, but these bucket seats suck !!!

Thanks for any help :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbonejr said:
I just purchased a 1996 Explorer XLT ,Auto trany, V6. Can I change from Bucket seats in the front to like a split bench or something similar ?? I know they would have to be aftermarket or come out of another type of vehicle, but I don't know where to start. Im used to trucks with the bench seats. Not trying to be negative, but these bucket seats suck !!!

Thanks for any help :D

if you lived in florida ide be willing to trade you, if your interior was tan, ide suggest looking in a junkyard to see if you can find a stock bench outta an X, youd prolly need the seats and brackets, but it shoudl bolt right in.

attachment.php

My front seat...

The easiest thing would probably to go look for a junkyard Ranger; those seats should be pretty close to matching up. I can't imagine how a bench would be more comfy then bucket seats though.

You can do anything with a blue tipped wrench and a welder! lol
I've seen a lot of one-off things between here and Tennessee. I have even seen a guy I knew put Thunderbird power seats into his wife's 82 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. They didn't match (blue seats in a brown truck) but they did work.

Look for 96-99 Taurus G or GL. They have a pretty nifty bench seat that the bottom folds out into a center console with a cup holder if you are not using it. You should be able to find an abundance of these in the yards pretty soon as they age to 10 years.

ranger or mazda will work

thats what i used a ranger 60/40 split

chriswells78 said:
You can do anything with a blue tipped wrench and a welder! lol
I've seen a lot of one-off things between here and Tennessee. I have even seen a guy I knew put Thunderbird power seats into his wife's 82 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. They didn't match (blue seats in a brown truck) but they did work.

Look for 96-99 Taurus G or GL. They have a pretty nifty bench seat that the bottom folds out into a center console with a cup holder if you are not using it. You should be able to find an abundance of these in the yards pretty soon as they age to 10 years.

Will this work, i mean height wise? the X seats sit higher up the taurus seats dont they? Ive never thought about it

Back