Can I change my Elec-Windows to "manual" ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I change my Elec-Windows to "manual" ?

toyfj40

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X/EB
I have a '93 Explorer/Eddie Bauer. Both back-seat window motors/regulators
are giving trouble (being winter, they will just stay UP ).

I noticed ( 1Aauto ) has front/rear left/right MANUAL regulators for about $65 each.

Will these replace the motorized-regulators? attach to the glass?
or is the door-cavity somehow different for manual-windows?

Do I just get the handles and poke-a-hole(tm) in the door-panel
to upgrade to crank-windows?

The door interior panels are a little different, but I don't see why you couldn't make it work if you don't care about punching holes in them. If you are going to take the door apart anyway, why not just fix whats there? The convienience of power windows is nice to have.

Check out rockauto.com They have pretty good prices on various parts, or check out your local junkyard you may get lucky and find a truck with them. Manual windaws are kind of hard to find. Most explorers were built without them. I had trouble buying one that way 10 years ago, when I bought my first explorer. It took awhile but I finally found my 92 2door xl without power locks or windows.

With new bushings in the motors, and a proper cleaning and greasing of moving parts, your electric windows will run just fine for years into the future. With how many explorers my family has (two belong to me personally, I sold a third to my dad) I have had to work on a LOT of these windows, but I never have to do the same window twice.

Its nice to see someone has the sickness like I do. I just need a 4 door xl and a navajo to complete the collection!

Back