Can I change my fuel pump without dropping tank?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I change my fuel pump without dropping tank??

WOODSTOCK1962

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I trying to find out, Is there is a way that I can replace my fuel pump / level sender without having to drain and drop my gas tank as described in the manual. My fuel level sender might be bad because my fuel gauge goes to empty after I fill the tank, or should I be checking for something else. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I did. works great. I did it the other way on my previous Ex, this way is better.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...Great instructions and photos.

Old thread, but the link above seems to be dead. I have an XLT that had the pump die today, I can smack the tank and it "unsticks" for a few minutes.

Does anyone have an FAQ? I don't want to drop the tank for an SUV with 320,000 miles on it that I'm replacing in few months!

Also if I pull a pump from the junkyard, do all 2002 Ford Explorer XLT's use the same pump?

That link and this thread are about 1st Gens. The link was probably about cutting an access hole under the rear seat.
Your 3rd Gen may or may not be similar.
Your best bet would be to search the 3rd Gen section and maybe start a thread there if you can’t find one to add to.

I csnt say for sure as I bought tm expo like this but below the drivers side rear seat I have an access panel that someone cut.

20190224_121933_HDR.jpg

20190224_121925_HDR.jpg

I especially like the smilie face

LOL! It's like they knew someone was going to find the smiley face someday! Troll Level "FORD"...

OK thanks, I'll make a new post.

Dead thread, unfortunately. I haven't found a way to do it on my 1993 Eddie Bauer. Anyone have a suggestion? Smokey

@Rick maybe you can swap out this link with the dead one, it links back to the forum index.

Done.

still hard to access vent hose ...its alright I did the mod but I think I have my purge solenoid back wards some vehicles have that charcoal can down by the tank too … any links to routing the fuel lines ?
if I was an alien id question a 800 cold cranking amp battery attached to an electric motor in the tank

I... Literally have two pictures of where you can access it if you cut the floor...

Hello everyone. Have anyone tried to add a new fuel pump on the fuel line: outside the fuel tank. We have thougt, could we add the new pump whitout dropping a tank or making a hole on the floor. The question is, can the new pump succing fuel through the old fuel pump.

Doubtful.

Your signature says 1998 Explorer, so depending on your type of fuel delivery system the additional pump would probably have to suck the gas through the fuel pressure regulator mounted above the pump and through the faulty pump, and then still deliver the gas with right pressure to the fuel injectors.

That is not a simple task, and even if you have a system with return line you'd still end up having to install additional fuel line and wiring check the fuel pressure, buy and try about 15 different pumps to find that one that works just right...
And what if there is a problem that caused the pump to fail, like a damaged or missing strainer, a corroded gas tank.

In other words, by the time you figure all that out, you could have dropped your gas tank just about 50 times.
And in the end you'll even be cheaper, safer and have less work.

Hello everyone. Have anyone tried to add a new fuel pump on the fuel line: outside the fuel tank. We have thougt, could we add the new pump whitout dropping a tank or making a hole on the floor. The question is, can the new pump succing fuel through the old fuel pump.

Recipe for disaster. If it works at all, it will not be reliable.

Ford trucks from around '85/86 up to '89 had two pumps, one in the tank and one on the frame. Worked OK as long as both pumps were functional. The in-tank pump in my '86 Ranger will occasionally fail but the other one will continue to pull fuel through it... for a very short period of time until it overheats and locks up. When it cools off it will work again and the process repeats itself... this is what will happen if you attempt it.

Just drop the tank. I see people's reasoning behind cutting the access hole... but in the time you will have spent cutting a hole, you could have just dropped the tank and replaced the pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recipe for disaster. If it works at all, it will not be reliable.

Ford trucks from around '85/86 up to '89 had two pumps, one in the tank and one on the frame. Worked OK as long as both pumps were functional. The in-tank pump in my '86 Ranger will occasionally fail but the other one will continue to pull fuel through it... for a very short period of time until it overheats and locks up. When it cools off it will work again and the process repeats itself... this is what will happen if you attempt it.

Just drop the tank. I see people's reasoning behind cutting the access hole... but in the time you will have spent cutting a hole, you could have just dropped the tank and replaced the pump.
Thank you,

Yes, we will drop the tank, it will be the easiest way.

Back