Can I install 4th GEN electric folding 3rd row in a 3rd GEN?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I install 4th GEN electric folding 3rd row in a 3rd GEN??

Nuksky

Reaction score
City, State
Washington dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
a little background info..for the past 3 yrs I have been hunting seats like crazy..I have purchased a lot of seats on my quest to upgrade my interior and they are crowding the garage ..which is a problem for my family nonetheless lol..i am going to get a storage unit today hopefully and work on selling them. I was going to buy my last set this week from an aviator when I came across an 06 in great condition for the same price I would pay for 3rd gen explorer or the aviator seats..so i made the better choice in my head lol..I even removed them and walked them over to a 3rd gen like mine to check for fitting issues and didn't really see any i couldn't handle so far..I purchased the front and second row seats..enter the problem..the front seats are both electric and i would like to make those work but the third row seats are electric folding... and as bad as I want them I want to ask if anyone has had any experience in installing them and making them functional..is it possible in your eyes..I do not know how they are hooked up but I read somewhere that they are linked to the transmission and only work if the transmission is in park..although like i said I tend to stay away from installs dealing with electricity Im down for taking on the task to get these seats..I have been piecing together seats to make a set since I started modifying my 3rd gen and to finally find a set I like feels good and I want to make them work..i like the technology and the functionality of the seats. I am getting a deal and supposed to go back and purchase them today.. ..any help is appreciated..Im in the washington Dc area so if anyones local hands on help would be great lol

Sounds like it is more trouble than it's worth imo. It would be neat, but doesn't seem like the outcome would be worth the amount of work needed to get there.

I pondered this earlier this year and poked around in the 4th gen section. Had available to me some black leather electronic folding seats or non electric 3rd gen.
All of the 4th geners said they would take the non electric over their electric.
Most experienced motor gear failures.
I went with the 3rd gen in the end.
You would need to run completely new wiring circuits. I'd still be up to it, as a project.

Back