Can I install a remote start with only 1 key on a 98 w/PATS using iDatalink/KLON? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I install a remote start with only 1 key on a 98 w/PATS using iDatalink/KLON?

Justin_

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2-DR Sport 4x4 4.10
Callsign
KJ7IKI
Hey guys. I have had the subwoofer stolen out of my truck twice in the last year so I am wanting to install an aftermarket security system. While I am at it I figured I would look at remote start systems. The catch is I only have 1 key and still have PATS. Im seeing parts of the documentation of iDatalink and KLON software saying that it can be bypassed/brute forced or something like that.

Has anybody attempted this before? If it works it would be awesome, but I don't know if I want to throw that much money at it if it ends up not working.

Thanks guys

The bypass methods for an aftermarket remote starter work by using a good existing key. It's been ages(2006ish) since I bought an alarm system and looked at the bypass details. I don't recall it being required to locate the key at the ignition key cylinder, but back then I did not know how the PATS worked. Now I know it has to be close to the PATS receiver, so you will have to look into those details more.

The PATS cannot be bypassed, it can be programmed out of the PCM with a costly program process. The remote starters use a way to provide the needed PATS key code at each start up.

You should spend the amount of time and minor cost to get three good keys, and maintain them. If one key is lost, then very quickly get another one made and programmed. Because dealing with only one key is not good and it's not fast and easy to reprogram the keys, new keys etc.

The PCM/computer must be mated to the PATS module(that stores the key codes in it), and the stored key codes in the PATS have to match the key(s).

So with just one key and you need more, the only choice is to get the PATS module erased(the stored codes), which means buy an ELM327 dongle and use your own laptop and the free Forscan software, to do it yourself. You can go to a dealer, and they will do it for a high price, to erase the PATS module.

BTW, however the PATS module gets erased, at that time you are golden, you do not need any more old keys. At that time, any key will work using the normal programming procedure minus entering in prior keys(there are none, they were all erased).

Thus the first key will be super easy. The 2nd key simply requires the first key to program the second one into the PATS. After the first two are programmed in, then it always will require two prior programmed keys to add another, up to eight keys.

It would be very wise to always have three good working PATS keys, and replace one immediately when one gets lost or damaged.

If the theft is happening in the driveway at home you could install a wireless WIFI cam (inside your vehicle) linked to your home security system. Then you would have Video of them and be able to have them arrested and prosecute.

Back