Can I install an OEM subwoofer?

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
I've got a '96 XLT and i'm in the middle of upgrading my sound system. I just bought some Pioneer door speakers (200w each) and amp, but I've recently discovered that some 2nd Gens have an OEM subwoofer in the rear passenger side compartment? (in the same area where the jack is on the drivers side... but other side) My X came stock with a completely pointless cut out and mini cargonet thing that can hold like a shoe, and nothing more. Is there anyway I could customize that into an area that could hold a subwoofer? Like, could I buy a bracket, faceplate or something for the same year and rip out the cutout and place it in there? Has anyone done this? I want it to look stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can add the rear subwoofer screen. Your cargo cubby hole needs to be removed from the inside of the interior panel. Don't try to pull it from the outside. Same with when you're taking the screen cover from the junkyard or where ever. I see them all the time ripped out and then useless.

I gathered all the parts to make this installation many years ago. But after getting the subwoofer and cover, I found that I needed the complete harness that goes from the HU to the rear. I sorta lost motivation after that and just made my screen velcro into place making a nice secret compartment for.. whatever you want. :D

Ahh, I thank you. First question, how the duece do I go about getting that peice out of my truck / donor? :confused:

You pretty much have to pop that entire panel off. From the rear hatch all the way to the rear seat belts. Its kind of a pain. I'll see if I have some pics...

okay thank you, that would be a big help. If anyone else has suggestion/input/instructions let me know!

im actually planning on doing this shortly. you have to take that whole panel off.
if you have money to spend they sell aftermarket ones with 10'' subs. the stock sub is 6.5 inches but ive seen pages on how to make it fit a 8inch sub. i dont have the money so im getting a stock one and cutting it to fit an 8inch sub. im gonna measure it up. but i think i maybe able to fit the amp under the rear seat if it wont fit on the sub enclosure. im not gonna use the stock amp

I got a sub box out of a 1st gen ex. You can get one from a 1st or second gen or there are a couple aftermarket ones out there. The one I got is for a 6in sub but I cut it out to fit an 8. I think the ones out of the 2nd gens are made for an 8in. You do have to take off that whole pannel but its not that hard just take your time. Here are some pics of my sub there.

This is a pic of the box before I cut it out to fit the 8in.
IMG_3184.jpg

This is a pic of the cover that I got. Somebody removed it without taking off the entire pannel so I cut the rest of the tabs off and just used some velcro to hold it in place.
IMG_3185.jpg

Here are a couple pics of it all done.
IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

How did you wire that? I think that's what I'm looking to do, but, how did you get everything back there?

how do you cut the stock enclosure to hold an 8inch sub. has anyone made a guide to do this?

how do you cut the stock enclosure to hold an 8inch sub. has anyone made a guide to do this?

Since I did not have the right tools at 10pm, I just used small drill bits, Vice Grips, files, and rotary rasp bits.

First, I outlined the circle I wanted. Then drilled holes side by side around the circle. Pieces were broke off along the way. Files and die grinder bits were used to smooth out the jagged edge.

th_106_0684.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0684.jpg

How did you wire that? I think that's what I'm looking to do, but, how did you get everything back there?

For my Budget Bass project, I used a PAC OEM-2 for the high-low converter. It was hooked up right after the OEM speaker amp for signal. Alpine V12 MRV-100M under driver side rear seat.

how does the sub sound with the stock enclosure. any rattle? is it a clear deep bass. or is it noticeable its not in a sealed box

For my Budget Bass project...

The sub sounds fine. No rattles. Good bass on some songs, okay bass on others. The OEM enclosure is sealed.

One problem I have is that the OEM system reduces bass at higher volumes.

It definately is not the perfect bass solution. All I wanted to do is to add some bass, keep the OEM head unit, and use the space that the OEM sub used. I still need to fine tune...

i don't want crazy thumping bass i just want it to sound good. i have an aftermarket headunit so id run full wiring and use a new amp too. i just wasnt sure how an 8 inch sub preformed

I've got a question. I'm wanting to do the same thing and take out the old sub and put a new after market one in it's place. I just want to know if i do that will i be able to hook up the new sub to the factory radio. I have the mach audio system but i don't know if the new sub will hook up to it.

i bet you could, just cut the wires from the factory sub and splice them to the new sub. i dont see why it couldnt be done. i could be wrong tho.im not sure how the mach system is set up

i was just checking out how to take the rear panel off and realized since i have a 2dr model the panel does all the way up to the front door. its much larger than the 4dr rear panel. im not even sure i can get it out past the rear seats. anyone attempt this with a sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back