Can I program key with only one key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I program key with only one key

BobCarter

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
I only have one key for my 03 explorer. The manual says I need two working keys in order to program a new one. Could I not just use the one key I have twice during the programming mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't heard anything. What i did was buy on Ebay for 20.00 key and fob and have the dealer program my 2nd key. Then program your additional keys your self. Just have em cut at your local store.

I only have one key for my 03 explorer. The manual says I need two working keys in order to program a new one. Could I not just use the one key I have twice during the programming mode?

No, you can't program it yourself. You either need to go to the dealer or find a locksmith that has the right equpiment. Around here the locksmiths are about 1/2 the price of the dealer for programming.

Once you have the 2nd key, go buy a 3rd key from ebay and have it cut. That way next time you lose a key you can just buy one and program it yourself. Heck we have 6 keys for our mustang :) so if we lose one (at the house) its no big deal.

~Mark

Once you have the 2nd key, go buy a 3rd key from ebay and have it cut. That way next time you lose a key you can just buy one and program it yourself. Heck we have 6 keys for our mustang :) so if we lose one (at the house) its no big deal.

Good advice. I currently have 5 keys for the Eddie. I scored all the extra blanks on eBay for cheap and Walmart cut them all...for free to boot. :thumbsup:

not sure your location, but around here the dealership wanted $120 for cutting/key/programming BUT calling around I found out the local Ace Hardware was the cheapest...key/cutting/programming was $75!

Now that I have 2, I bought a blank on ebay for $10 and will have it cut at Ace and program it myself so if I ever lose one...I'll STILL have 2 to reprogram myself. :)

been here done that. . just speculating. .
but long, long time ago, there was a day when you got only one key when you bought a new car. Many people lost it and complained because they had to pay the $1 to get a replacement, so the big 3 decided to be nice and give you a spare. Fast forward a few decades, and some marketing guys figures out instead of giving them a spare we can use PATSII and still give them the two keys, that way when he loses one we can bill him at the stealership. . . its a sure thing.. . .easy $100.

sorry for the :rant:

Back