Can I Pull it??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I Pull it???

I have a 2003 Explorer with the 4.0L V6 engine, control trac 4x4, with a class 2 trailer tow package. I have a 1920# trailer while empty. How much can I actually pull witht my explorer without causing problems? Any input or suggestions would be great!! Thanks!!

A lot more than that, the Class II receiver is rated at 3500 lbs with a 350 lb max tongue weight. I'd suggest putting a good sized tranny cooler on the truck though. The transmissions are one of the weak points in the Explorer.

ThankS! Should I put a class 3 reciever on the truck or just stay with the class II? I know the truck is rated for more than 3500 and if I put a big tranny cooler on it that would help as well. As you can tell I am pretty much clueless.... :)

If you need to tow more than 3500, then you need a class III. The tranny cooler will not give you more towing capacity, it will help with the tranny life expectancy.

Which rear end does it have in it?

With the OEM class 2 hitch, you'll be limited to 3500 lbs. However, the max rating will still be determined by the engine, trans, drivetrain (4wd/2wd), and gear ratio it came with from the factory. It's listed in the tables in your owner's manual.

-Joe

Back