Can I replace a '98 4.0 sohc with a '99 engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I replace a '98 4.0 sohc with a '99 engine

wshful

Reaction score
City, State
central nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
I have a chance to pick up a '99 4.0 sohc with 36 K to replace the one in my '98 Explorer sport, is it a direct replacement, both engines have the E in the vin and also what's the progression of steps to pull the engine out? as you can tell I'm a nubee. THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and yes you can use that engine. The vital long block is all the same. Some things changed externally in 97-99, but you can use anything which is the same. You will have to use the 98 fuel rail and regulator, the rest I can't say. BTW, how much if you can tell us?

Car is totaled on pass. side, got it for $700

Hey wshful I see you're from NJ. How is the interior from the parts car you bought? Are you willing to part it out?

the interior is in decent shape, gray leather, I haven't bought the car yet because I'm not to sure about how to go about pulling the engine & trans any help would be appreciated and yes if I do take it I'd part out the rest of the car.

Well let me know, I'm looking for mint grey leather seats (to replace my worn ones) and possibly a few other items.

I'm also in central NJ too.

That's a great deal if it's complete. Compare the interior gray colors, Ford began the dark gray in 1999.

Back