Can i spice the Amp input? 1997 Limited JBL stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i spice the Amp input? 1997 Limited JBL stereo

Bigchapp

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer limited
i just installed a new deck in my 1997 Limited w/ JBL stereo, but i noticed that it bypasses the amp. i actually want to use the amp for the speakers and sub. do you think i could splice the harness from the stereo into the original input wires on the amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Metra makes splice kits for everything. I used one when I installed my Kenwood HU with Pioneer door speakers, and Exceleon sub. Just follow the color codes and you should be good.

http://www.metraonline.com/products

i used the metra harness. it bypasses the amp all together. thats why im wondering if i could splice the input on the amp.

I think Metra has a kit that includes that amp wiring...? Mine did. I used the existing amp and just swapped everything else. Can you tone out (continuity test) the wiring from the amp back to the dash to find which are the amp wires?

the kit i got goes from the radio to the amp outputs that go directly to the speakers... i might have to take out the harness i have and splice the stereo harness to the original harness in the dash.

I'd get ahold of Metra directly and tell them what you want to do. I am sure they have a kit for the amp hookup. Actually, IIRC I think I bought mine at a Best Buy. I don't have the exact P/N for it tho. Sorry.

Back