Can I start my 5.0 explorer with the condenser lines open? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I start my 5.0 explorer with the condenser lines open?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

I just went through a major A/C system overhaul (replaced everything from compressor to lines to accumulator, etc, etc)

However, my new condenser won't be in until tomorrow. Can I start the truck up with the condenser lines open? Would like to make sure everything is working fine before tomorrow.

sorry for the dumb question, Ive never done A/C before

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely - not a problem.
The compressor will not run because there's no charge in it.

Did you replace the drier as well?
You should have the lines capped off so no moisture gets in.

excellent, thanks for the quick reply man! heres to hoping there are no leaks when I get the condenser installed tomorrow! lol

if you left your new drier/accumulator open for any length of time it's probably ruined. it will suck up moister from the air really fast (that's its job). otherwise no problem running/driving the truck w/o the condenser. and don't forget to make sure you put oil in your new compressor. a lot of times they are shipped dry.

I have a new accumulator on there right now. I've drove the vehicle about 15 miles today with the open condenser lines.

The accumulator was open for maybe 45 seconds when I reinstalled it. How are you suppose to attach it to the system without opening it?

As for the compressor - I put the required amount of oil in it, but of course when I was mounting it and plugging it in, I spilled probably 3 oz of the oil on the ground.

I was told I can just add a few oz of oil to the entire system, and it should be fine.

Also, I never put oil in the new accumulator when I installed it? Will this be a problem? Worst case scenario, I have a spare brand new accumulator.

So, tomorrow morning I will install the condenser, then the system should be sealed up.

Can I just start adding freon to it after the condenser is installed? Or does the system HAVE to be evac'd? I am in San Diego and I was told the evac isn't necessary because of the low moisture

You should definitely pull a vacuum on it.

yes, you have to open the accumulator to attach it and 45 seconds isn't a problem. i'm just thinking that your lines are still open where they attach to the condenser. as long as they're not, no worries. as far as putting a vacuum pump on the system before you charge it, its suggested but i've found not absolutly necessary.

you can always add oil later and it doesn't need to go into the compressor. you can even add it with a can of "oil charge" after the system i sealed.

as soon as the condenser is installed (assuming that seals the system) you can start adding freon. i find most systems take between 2-3 cans and if you have a "Fred's" where you live, its the cheapest place to buy it. i bought some there last summer and it was around $6 compared to the discount auto parts stores at $12 for the exact same stuff.

as soon as the condenser is installed (assuming that seals the system) you can start adding freon.

No, you cannot simply add R134 to your system, especially after you've replaced major components. The system absolutely must be evacuated before you add R134. Honestly, I'd leave that part to an a/c tech with the proper machine. It will evacuate the system, charge it from a vacuum state by weight and verify the correct oil is replenished as well.

It's a home run to get it done the correct way, you'll have ice cold a/c.

If you charge it without the evacuation, your pressures will never be correct because of the added air volume that's now in your system.

I have to respectfully disagree that it is absolutly necessary to pull a vacuum on the system. I've done it many times without it and the A/C has worked just fine. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but in a pinch you can get away with it. It's your money.

Back