can I use 75W-90 fluid in my rear differential? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can I use 75W-90 fluid in my rear differential?

bwinterroth

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS V6 SOHC
I have a 2000 XLS 4.0L V6 SOHC and Amsoil recommends 75W-90 in the rear differential, but the haynes manual says 75W-140. Can I use the 75W-90? Are there any negatives to it? Also will i need the limited slip additive as well? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the friction modifier for all Ford LS differentials. Check the tag on the diff. cover. The ratio will be there, and an "L" will tell you that it has a traction lock. Example "3L73", or "4L10", or else "3 73" or "4 10"

The factory spec of 75-140 weight is to be able to never service it again. Use the synthetic 75-90's, and plan to change it every 50-100,000 miles. Good luck,
Don

amsoil offers Dead Link Removed or Dead Link Removed Which one should i get?

I run Amsoil 75 w 90 in the rear of my /99 SOHC with LS. I have had no problems whatsoever. I do not use any friction modifier.

aldive said:
I do not use any friction modifier.

i was hoping someone would mention that.

Most Synthetics (personally I haven’t seen one that does not) already comes with a friction modifier already in the bunch. Adding more may lead to a consequential noisy rear-end and pre-mature wear of the differential.

If you use non-synthetic, chances are you will have to add Friction modifier.
Most shops should have it, and you should only put a 1oz for every quart. It might be 2oz though, my brain is going flat.

It should read on the back "CONTAINS FRICTION MODIFIER," or some say "FOR TOP-OFF ONLY” which in my mind says it already has some-kind friction modifier. But I could be wrong on that.

bwinterroth said:
amsoil offers Dead Link Removed or Dead Link Removed Which one should i get?

It looks like you should get the long life version, unless you will use the truck in very severe conditions(high heat of towing, etc.)
Don

Looks like Longlife 75w-90 with no friction modifier is what you need :navajo:

Back