• Register Today It's free!

Can i use diesel truck oil ?

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I started working as a lube tech at a diesel shop and have free access to several brands of oil . delo, delvac, lucas, rotello. All 15w 40 . I drive a 95 Explorer 4.0 and wanted to know would this oil be safe to use in my truck. My motor has over 200k. Miles and I'm in Florida. Just like the other day I was given 3 gallons of lucas 15w40. Magnum oil and 1 gallon of delvac 15w40 that that drivers Didn't want. it's sitting in the garage till y'all. Tell me it's ok to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do a Google search on it . You will find that a lot of people like to run diesel oil in their gas motors.

I'm gonna say yes.

15w may be a little heavy but in Fla you should be ok.

It'll be fine, just expect to lose some gas mileage. And wear the starter motor out a tad quicker. But with over 200K miles, it might do ya some good

I believe the main difference with diesel oil is that it contains zinc to protect against wear. 15W/40 It should be fine in FLA.

I believe the main difference with diesel oil is that it contains zinc to protect against wear. 15W/40 It should ne fine in FLA.

^I believe this is correct. They have higher zink content and also absorb oil contaminants better because diesels tend to run dirty and beat up the oil more.

I am using Rotella for years now in my 5.0L V8. The diesel oils are safe on gasoline engines, if you look at them, they are actually dual labeled too.

So... if I'm using 15w-40 diesel and my SOHC has the timing chain rattle I can just say "Yeah, well, the oil makes it sound that way." :D

So... if I'm using 15w-40 diesel and my SOHC has the timing chain rattle I can just say "Yeah, well, the oil makes it sound that way." :D

in my experience 15-40 makes an engine quieter, its a good oil for hi mileage engines.
been running it for many years in my Taurus SHOs.
those are 3.0 L V6s built by Yamaha that rev to 7000rpms, has a belt up front and 2 cam chains plus mechanical lifters.
the thicker oil may take an extra hp or 2 to spin the internals, but keeping the bearings in place is worth it.

I would not recommend it.

I tried Delo 15w-40 in my 4.0 SOHC - there was excessive startup noise, probably bad for the timing chains.

10w-40 was fine.

Back